game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 10

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Some things I've learned about Australians.
I've lived here now for two and a half years.  I've learned a few things about the people here, and I'd like to share my observations for no real reason except that I can.

• Most australians don't wash their hands when leaving the restroom.
  • Most people who drive a Ford are appallingly bad drivers (tho granted this holds true in every country).
  • Based on the food available in restaurants, Australians have a fairly tenuous grasp of what good food is, and they totally don't understand burgers.
  • If an Australian drives a ute and wears a flourescent shirt, they're probably a drunk violent asshole much of the time.
  • Like Americans, Australians love their country and heritage, even when they're not sure why.  Unlike Americans they're not quite so up themselves about it.

The people I've met have been exceptions to these rules, but the people I've observed fit the profile most of the time.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Some things I've learnt about Canadians:

They have shiny heads.

I don't know many Canadians ;)

As for things to know about Australians:
- They do indeed have a strange grasp on food. Much of Australia's food is a bit bland, that's why making your own stuff always wins if you can be bothered.
- Burgers are better from small fish and chip shops. Go to more of them :D
- They are laid back.
- Transport doesn't like to be ontime for them
- We speak lazily, but it is awesome

As for the washing hands thing, everybody I know washes their hands. Maybe not in Brisbane though ;)
Author name #3
User title: Invisible Cyborg Sandwhich
Member since Sep 2007 · 5 posts · Location: Enabsirb
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Australian Food: Australian food is terrible. Thankfully Australia is also incredibly multi-cultural, so immigrants are teaching us that vegimite and wheat-bix really are crap.

Patriotism: Most Austrlians love Australia becuase they are generally too lazy to find out what other places are better and most of our closest holiday destinations really aren't much better than here so people don't grasp what they are missing out on. I'd say our isolation and conviniece of life are our biggest downfall in the "worldly appreciation department".

Washing hands: Anyone who washed their hands after taking a leak is selfish for wasting Australia's precious water. Like maybe guys should if the get a bit too handy but girls don't even come into contact with anything unhygienic. And for that matter you shouldn't flush on number one becuase it's also a waste of water, you should really be peeing in the bush on every occasion, or at least peeing upstream from your friends at Cedar Creek so everyone swims in your pee without knowing it and you can go home feeling smug about it.
Author name #4
Member since Nov 2007 · 121 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Denizens, Members
Most Australians will gladly bleat on about their heritage, 'mateship' and 'fair go' while conveniently forgetting that there were people in Australia long before us honkies turned up and will happily step on an Aboriginal's face to get to the next can of godawful fizzy shit they try to pass off as beer.
I've only seen worse weak pissy fizzy 'beer' i.e. lager, from one country, I'm sure you can guess which one.
Remind me why I want to live there again, apart from the babes and the weather?
"...either stop and think or fuck right off" (TheOutrider)
Author name #5
Actually, most Australians I know don't even really talk about their heritage at all. If they do it's more in the sense of "my family came from England waywayway back" or something.

And as for the Aboriginals ... well I honestly get so bored of the whole thing. I mean, we can't change what has happened, and in my part of society it's more often than not the Aboriginal kids that pick on everybody else. All through school we had to study books that talked about descrimination against the Aboriginal community that I honestly got bored of it. Quite a shame really.

I like the beer here. I like most beers though, I'm not terribly fussy.

And to Scion, Australia is an amazing place, if you get out of the cities.
Author name (Administrator) #6
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Canada was the same when it came to the Indians.  Mind you, we were much more successful at wiping them out.  The ones that are left generally don't look like indians, and they integrate fairly well into modern society - when they feel like it.  They have their 'reservations' where they can live an a ridiculous law-free state, collecting government welfare and generally being useless. 

I had a friend who was like 1/6th Indian and he got a shockingly large amount of money every month for being born that way. 

I don't really have any time for apologists who want to give the land back or treat them differently than the rest of us.  Your great great grandfather might have a complaint, but you don't.  Time to move on, bucko.
BLEARGH
Author name #7
It's a shame though because their entire cultural group is messed up (talking about the Aboriginal community here) and it's just going to continue.

The parents are drunk and jobless.
They have kids, which they raise poorly with little education and a lifetime around their parent's behaviour.
Those kids grow up and become jobless drunks.
They then have their own kids.
Repeat.

A guy I know lived out in a really remote Aboriginal community for a while with his family (he's white, his parents are doctors needed in that community). He said there was just nothing to do there, so it was not wonder they all sniffed petrol. The local store had white bread and coke. That was it. His mother found it hard to be allowed to work their because her husband was the main doctor. In that community they considered it unfair for two people in one family to be making a decent living, even though there was nobody else to do the job.

How do you start fixing stuff like that?

My answer is education.
Author name #8
Member since Nov 2007 · 121 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Denizens, Members
In reply to post #6
Quote by NFG:
Canada was the same when it came to the Indians.  Mind you, we were much more successful at wiping them out.  The ones that are left generally don't look like indians, and they integrate fairly well into modern society - when they feel like it.  They have their 'reservations' where they can live an a ridiculous law-free state, collecting government welfare and generally being useless. 

I had a friend who was like 1/6th Indian and he got a shockingly large amount of money every month for being born that way. 

I don't really have any time for apologists who want to give the land back or treat them differently than the rest of us.  Your great great grandfather might have a complaint, but you don't.  Time to move on, bucko.
Oh yeh, I agree, they need to integrate, the problem is them not being given a lot of chances in the first place. The problem with equality in modern terms is that it's not equality, it's favouritism towards anyone who isn't the majority, which makes the majority resentful, which only results in more animosity towards a minority, and so exacerbates the problem. It's just a sad fact of life really. And if you want to see it in action on a larger scale, come to London.
One major problem with the white perspective of Aboriginals is that many whites don't understand the alcohol problem. It actually affects Aboriginal people in a different way, they're more susceptible so the effects of alcohol and physiologically more prone to addiction and it addles their brain far quicker and more effectively than it does for a person of white origin. I'm glad that many Aboriginal communities are taking their own initiative on driving alcohol back out of their communities as I think it must have been a sad day in the '70s when they were given free access to it. It seems to me to have set them even further back from any sort of integration and personal progress. It is ultimately up to them to self-govern in a way, but adhere to the common laws of the land. You do end up with the same situations as with the North American Indians where they have their reserves and aren't totally governed by the state, but that only results in seperatism and the slow death of a race of people, instead of their integration and progress as just another race.
"...either stop and think or fuck right off" (TheOutrider)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!