game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 110

Any other fans?
submit to reddit
Author name #1
Member since Oct 2007 · 30 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Power Metal
Power metal is one of my favourite genres of music. I love the epic and powerful feel many of these bands go for in their sound. I'm a good fan of bass, and much of metal and i love the pace they also create. The vocals can be cool and different, and usually clean (not screamy) which makes for nice vocals over sweet music (in terms of awesome).

One of my favourites is Kamelot, and of course Nightwish :) I like a few of Mercinary's songs, as well as Helloween.

Even though what i do like i love, i find myself quite picky within the genre too. I'm not all that much into lyrics about dragons and castles, and similar to my selective love for Metal, get turned off by many power metal artist's vocals.

What power metal bands are you into (if any)? I'm quite interested in how heavy power metal can get. I wonder if there is any good 'heavy power metal' around :D
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
How do you define 'power metal' vs other kinds of metal?  I know Nightwish, but a single sample isn't enough to really get a feel for the genre.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Does King Diamond fit in the category? He's an acquired taste, but I enjoyed him in the 90s. His band was one of the few that knew what to do with two lead guitarists.
Author name #4
Not sure of King Diamond to be honest. Have to have a listen.  :-)

[Here's the wiki definition: Power metal is a style of heavy metal music typically with the aim of evoking an "epic" feel, combining characteristics of traditional metal with thrash metal or speed metal, often within symphonic context.]

Power metal bands tend to be more melodic, often fast paced and feature much cleaner vocals than Metal bands (normally). Though the vocals are usually 'different'. Not really sure how to describe them, as i usually just call them 'power metal vocals'  :-D

A good example is 'Mr Torture' by Helloween.
Author name (Administrator) #5
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Would Ensiferum fit within your definition of Power Metal?
BLEARGH
Author name #6
Pretty close, but I think they also lead into folk metal a bit more.
Author name #7
User title: Not to Scale
Member since Nov 2007 · 14 posts · Location: Brisbane, Australia
Group memberships: Members
I would recommend Rhapsody Of Fire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_Of_Fire
http://www.myspace.com/rhapsodyoffireband
Although their lyrics are very mythical, but meh, don't listen to what he sings, just listen to how he's singing it.
Author name #8
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
See, based on the vague definitions given here, it sounds like Dio would be the definitive Power Metal band. Except that as one of the 'founding fathers' of the larger genre, Dio's band is generally thought of as an entity unto itself rather than being included in any of the categories.

Not to veer off too far in another direction, but I'm really questioning whether or not the 'metal' category is meaningful anymore. If Thin Lizzy and Sepultura end up next to each other on the shelf, then I don't know that there's useful organization going on at the store at this point. :)
Author name #9
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
That depends though, you have to start generalising somewhere, otherwise you'll start getting absolutly stupid classifications in stores.  So if something fits in slightly more with Metal than with hardcore/emo/punk, or alternative, or country, then that's where it's going to go. I think people get too fussy about music classifications sometimes.

But I do love powermetal. Josh and I want to hear power death, just to see what that would be like!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!