game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 1170

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Rediscovering: Toy Shop Boys
A few days ago I fired up the old Xbox 360 to play some games, only to realie that the machine was not a games console anymore.  It was some sort of slow-loading ad-showing committee-made media consumption box that actively sought to make it harder for me to spend money on games.  I was outraged, and I realized it wasn't the first time.  Every time I turned on my Xbox 360 I was angrier about the whole experience. 

This time I'd had enough.  "Fuck this" I said aloud, and I turned the system off and unplugged it.  In its place I installed a PC Engine Duo RX, and into this console I shoved an old love: Toy Shop Boys.

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/games/ToyShopBoys.png]
This is the intro story.  Pithy, isn't it?

Download the ROM and play along!
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #2
The PC Engine was home to a lot of shooters, and obviously some were better than others.  As a general rule, anything that saw a release on the TurboGrafx could be considered among the best...  But sometimes very good games were overlooked.

Toy Shop Boys is one of those games.

The most remarkable thing about it is the solidity.  Right from the start every sprite feels like it was placed with authority, every bullet is solid and never flickers, and every sound seems appropriate for the action it represents. 

And it's charming, the whole game.  The player characters are three little boys flying in formation, each identified by a red, green or blue hat Huey, Dewey and Louie style.  The enemies are toy cars and tanks, dancing flowers and pudgy jumbo jets, race cars and toy soldiers.

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/games/ToyShopBoys-1.png]
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #3
I love this game, but shortly after starting this thread I popped in another PCE shooter, Override...  And now I'm playing that exclusively.  I'll get back to Toy Shop Boys.  =)
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!