game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 1172

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Rediscovering: Last Battalion (Mission Override)
When I lived in Japan I had a habit of buying big lots of games and selling off the individual pieces on ebay.  One day a title arrived that I thought looked a little bit familiar:  Last Battalion.

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/games/LastBattalion-1.png]

It turns out that it's a port of one of my favoured PC Engine games: Override.  It's basically the same game: same ship, same weapons, same enemies, same controls... 

But it's a whole lot different.  For one thing, the game almost ten times larger, requiring two 1.2MB floppies compared to the PCEngine's 2Mbit HuCard.  It now has a lengthy introduction sequence, new levels, new enemy and player sprites, new player animations, new powerup sprites, etc etc etc.  It's a complete overhaul, and even the game has received some changes: the purple weapon's completely gone, and there's a new back-fire charge attack.

I'm not convinced it's as good as the PC Engine version.  There's something lacking that I have never been able to put my finger on, and so this rediscovery has a goal: figure out whether it's as good, and find out why.

This article is part of a series of retro gaming rediscoveries.  You can view the rest of them right here.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!