game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 157

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Statistics...  1/200 people homeless in Australia?
On the news just now I heard that there are 100,000 homeless people in Australia.

That's one out of every two hundred people.

How the hell does that work?  One out of every two hundred!?  That means there are ten thousand of them in Brisbane, and you know how many I've seen camping on the steets?

Maybe four.  Let's go with ten, 'cause it's a nice round number.

Does the government really expect me to believe that there are ten thousand homeless people in Brisbane?  Where are they all?
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
One out of two hundred is a statistic I would believe for the United States. Like Australia, there's plenty of wide-open wilderness where people aren't standing up and being counted for some reason. Not all the homeless are to be found in the cities, and even the ones who are there aren't exactly going out of their way to be visible.
Author name #3
Member since Jan 2008 · 2 posts
Quote by Kendrick:
One out of two hundred is a statistic I would believe for the United States. Like Australia, there's plenty of wide-open wilderness where people aren't standing up and being counted for some reason. Not all the homeless are to be found in the cities, and even the ones who are there aren't exactly going out of their way to be visible.

But one out of two hundred does seem like a bit of a stretch.
Also If they live out in the wilderness, wouldn't they have made a little hut or shelter which makes the term homeless redundant for them?
Or people squatting in communes? That isn't exactly homeless. But then, by government standard, they don't have a mailing address so they are considered homeless.
This is akin to how they get the unemployment figures, you aren't even on the system until you are on the doll with centerlink.
Author name #4
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
See, this is where we get into a semantic discussion. What constitutes a 'homeless' condition? If someone has enough cash to pay for three meals a day, but wanders the countryside in a jeep and bathes in truck stops, is he homeless? If you don't have an address and don't pay taxes, but you hide all your assets and property in a trust or a corporation, are you technically homeless? Is it just more than the usual, connotative image of a guy who can't make ends meet and sleeps under a bridge? Our world governments don't really have a good way of accounting for people who don't fit societal norms.

There is really no more frontier, no unexplored territory where a John Smith can go and live off the land. Many people can't, won't, or shouldn't be constrained by institutions (be they marriage or real estate or education or whatever.) Not to veer too far off the topic, but you wonder if a truly enlightened western civilization wouldn't be able to make room for those people too.
Author name (Administrator) #5
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
The definition of 'homeless' used to create this number was something I was curious about too.  It's really annoying when news sources parrot these numbers without explaining them or applying any critical thought.  All we have now are bullshit stats which, as we see, are useless for debate.

Many people can't, won't, or shouldn't be constrained by institutions (be they marriage or real estate or education or whatever.) Not to veer too far off the topic, but you wonder if a truly enlightened western civilization wouldn't be able to make room for those people too.
I totally agree.  The only reason I'm married is 'cause it was easier to stay together with Zumi back when she faced returning to Japan before we'd prefer.  I didn't want to get married, I just didn't want her to leave.  A lot of these institutions are really annoying, but like borders, they serve a purpose.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!