game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 164

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Describing the Brain
In my infrequent attempts to write down what I think about mental processes, I usually describe the components of the brain as if it were a computer.  Parallel processes, interlinked subsystems, communication buses and so on. 

It turns out, and I really shouldn't be surprised by this, that people have been describing the processes of the brain based on the available technologies more or less forever.

If we look back over recent centuries we will see the brain described as a hydrodynamic machine, clockwork, and as a steam engine.  When I was a child in the 1950's I read that the human brain was a telephone switching network.  Later it became a digital computer, and then a massively parallel digital computer.  A few years ago someone put up their hand after a talk I had given at the University of Utah and asked a question I had been waiting for for a couple of years: "Isn't the human brain just like the world wide web?".  The brain always seems to be one of the most advanced technologies that we humans currently have.

Taken from this page.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 30 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Unbelievably amazing thing isn't it. I'd never thought of it that way but it's so true.

I can never get around how weird they are. A few examples;

- It's kind of like "we" are a brain inside a host body/machine.
 - They don't look like they are capable of what they do :P
 - They are so rediculously unique when compared...
 - So much of it is still a mystery.

And my personal top rated wierd fact: They learn about themselves!

So in conclusion, my brain has decided that the brain is really weird...
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
So in conclusion, my brain has decided that the brain is really weird...
Haha!  Funny because it's true.  Well done.  =D

Much like the fundamental components of matter, as we learn more and more about the brain we come to realize that, basically, we have much more to learn.  I remember reading once, and forgive me for getting this wrong as the memories are hazy (damned brain), that if we consider only the neurons and other obvious components of the brain, then we have a chance of understanding it and duplicating it, perhaps in a computer.  If we have to take into account the (and here's where it gets fuzzy) additional components, the signals between the neurons (not just the pathways but the ...  atoms?  Sheaths?  If we have to take all that extra componentry into account then our job becomes orders of magnitude more complicated and makes the jbo so ludicrouslycomplex that there's no forseeable point in the future where computers could encompass the entire mechanism.

Yeah.  Wish I remembered more, sorry...
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
That's why when I walk out of just about any one of my classes at school I think "We seriously shouldn't work..."
It's unbelievable that anything in our body works at all!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!