game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 179

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: I Am Legend
So I watched I am Legend last night.  It's just occured to me that the title of the movie doesn't really have anything to do with the content, but I suppose it's nod completely unreasonable to make the connection...

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend2.jpg]

The following review may have spoilers, but I won't give away the main plot points so you may choose to read on without having the movie ruined.

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend1.jpg]

The quality of the overall presentation was very good.  Annoying 'realistic' shakey-cam effects were few and far between, and except for some really good but still obvious CG scenes, I don't have any complaints.    The whole story was sewn together really well, and the sum of all the parts is a really enjoyable flick.

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend3.jpg]

Technically it's not a zombie flick, but like 28 Days Later it shares a lot with the genre: mutie freaks come out and chase the good guy.  They're quick this time, and smart.  During the course of the movie several really neat observations are made that show how wll thought-out the whole story was: changing zombie behaviours, strange zombie social patterns, etc.  There were no significant plot holes,  and only a few points where I thought to myself "Oh come on!"

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legendb.jpg]

The depictions of a desolate New York were very well done, and for your enjoyment I've included a bunch of images to prove it.  There was some fairly blunt product placement at the start - Ford Mustang ahoy - but after the opening sequence there was no more of it to distract the viewer.

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend4.jpg]

Wil Smith played the character very well, though I have to say the filmmaker's attempt to make him flawed really just ruined any empathy I had for him.  In several scenes he talks to mannequins as if they're people, screaming in rage and shooting one of them when it refuses to answer his questions.  It didn't humanize the character, it made him unlikable, and it annoyed me they would do that. 

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend9.jpg]

There were parts of the movie that reminded of Resident Evil.  In fact, pretty much every scene with a zombie or mutie dog in it was, if not inspired by the game, then certainly influenced by it.

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend6.jpg]

Some of the scenes were particularly remarkable, such as golfing on the tailfin of an SR-71 Blackbird, or hunting in the long grasses of New York's Times Square.

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legend8.jpg]

The whole movie presented a very well conceptualized vision of a catastrophe with only minor flaws, many of which could be a matter of preference more than actual failing.  The ending was surprising without being a shock, and suited the rest of the movie quite well. 

[Image: /grafx/IamLegend/Legendc.jpg]

So, watch it if you haven't.  You can grab the torrent here.
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2008-02-24, 12:54 by NFG.
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
MORE DISCUSSION: IF YOU REALLY DON'T WANT SPOILERS THEN DON'T READ, BUT I'M NOT REALLY GIVING AWAY MUCH.

I watched it the other day, and really quite enjoyed it.

I'm not great at movies when I think things are going to jump out at me, and end up peering through my fingers in some scenes, which for some reason helps even though I'm seeing just as much of the screen as I am the rest of the time!

Will Smith did a good job I feel, and did the moving scenes really well. He's good when doing a character that's very much in control, and I agree with NFG that the scene where he was yelling at the manequine wasn't the best.

The mutant people were well done I thought. The thought that went into their behaviour etc was great to see.

The scene that really freaked me out was when he went into the dark building. That got my heart rate going off the scale!!!

And I admit that I did cry during it, but it was a really sad scene and I love dogs.....
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Some rat bastard had spoiled the dog thing for me, so I was ready for it and could stand all manly-like when it happened.  That scene where the mutie dogs attacked really annoyed me though: How implausible was it they couldn't cross that 4-inch beam of sunlight?  I mean, come on!

I'm curious about the other two versions of this movie.  While I generally don't enjoy older movies, I do wonder about the treament the story received.
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Now that you mention it that does annoy me too! They could even have sprinted across a meter wide gap! It's not impossible.

Also, why didn't he hop all the way to the car? It obviously wasn't impossible. He was a little stupid.
Author name #5
Member since Oct 2007 · 30 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
I thought the manequin part wasn't as bad as you both make it seem. Especially the way NFG put it.

It to me made it kind of intense, not giving anything away, but it has a purpose. It's not as though he just talked to it, no response, then shot it. It did what i believe it aimed at doing rather well, even if it was a tad extreme.

As for the infected dogs, they're dogs... When they got hurt and jumped back out, they did the clever thing (as a dog) to wait until it was gone. Would have been easy to jump through at that point but being mutants didn't make them any smarter  :-p

I thought it was pretty good, and am also interested in the alternate endings.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!