game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 185

Author name #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Injuries
I hate the way I'm never as keen to go training for parkour as when I'm injured.

Well, maybe I'm just as keen but I notice it more because I can't go.

Does anybody want to trade shoulders?
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Yeah.  You always want what you can't have.  I never wanted a copy of Metal Slug X so much as the week after I sold mine.  It's human nature, for sure.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Oct 2007 · 11 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Younguns
how much longer are you out for hef?
Author name #4
It's unsure at the moment.
In terms of doing decent parkour and conditioning it could honestly be months. I need to do a great deal of strengthening first.
Depending on how my own work goes I may need to go see a sports doctor and get some scans done to really assess the damage done, and in the worst case I'll need surgery to tighten up all the stuff in my shoudler, and that will also put me out of action for ages.
So at the moment I'm pretty screwed.

Fortunately though my legs are conditioned to a rather good level, so I'm quite happy about that. No screwing up my knees!! :D
Author name (Administrator) #5
Did I just zone out when you talked about the injury, Hef, or is this something you didn't tell me about?  How'd you get hurt?
BLEARGH
Author name #6
Well I dislocated my shoulder a few years ago. I tripped over a low chainlink fence (don't ask me why I then decided parkour would be a good activity for me...) and pushed it out. It was out of joint for maybe half an hour before I got to hospital and was able to get the joint reconnected. By the way, if you ever want to get through emergancy really really quickly, dislocate something!

Anyway, I did work on strengthening it after that, but I don't think I did a good enough job.
Skip forward to December 2006. I was doing a 360 underbar at the gym, and managed to twist my shoulder out of joint. I didn't do a full dislocation so I was able to push it back in myself after looking down at my shoulder and realising that the lump I could see was infact the head of my humerus. I didn't see a physio after that (bad idea? yes), but tried to strengthen it myself.

A further 5-6 months later I was at gym doing some tricking with Josh and Conan, and when going into a b-kick I managed to throw my shoulder out of joint again. When you start doing this without outside force you know it's a bad sign. It was another sublaxation, but a bad one. I managed to push it back in again, and this time I went to see a physio. Turns out my humerus head is now sitting a good 1.5 cm further forward than it should, and my scapular are winged out at the back. The ligaments and tendons are stretched, and I may have done something tricky to my bicep tendon, causing it to be very tender around that area.

So back to conditioning. I worked pretty bloody hard to try and get it stronger, and thought I had. But oh no, when I was in Canada I pushed it out AGAIN when I was pulling myself accross up onto the bed with my elbows. Put it back in again myself. Saw the physio when I got back because it was actually hurting me when I was just sitting, not doing anything with my shoulder, completely resting it. I'd get shooting pain down my arm. My phsyio said it's not in good shape, to keep strengthening it, brace it for running, don't use it out of a small range of movement, and perhaps get some scans done.

So yeah, I've fully dislocated it once, and half dislocated it 3 times. My original physio told me that if I dislocated it again before I was 30, I'd probably need surgery. But I really don't want surgery if I can help it.

So yeah, thus is the tragic story of my shoulder. It is currently the 5th reason I've had to see a physio to date. The others being: back, hip, other shoulder and calves. My body hates me... :(
Author name (Administrator) #7
Oh geez, this is THAT injury? 

I could have told you not to keep doing it...  Why didn't you ask me!?
BLEARGH
Author name #8
Damn! I forgot about my number one source of health care - NFG!
Author name #9
Member since Oct 2007 · 30 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
How could you? When i crushed the vertebrae in my back? Straight to NFG.

How else do you think i got back into the game so quickly?
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!