game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 192

Forum: Our World The World RSS
The NEW ones I mean
submit to reddit
Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: The Seven Deadly Sins
So the Vatican, in their efforts to somehow make a ridiculous religion somehow more relevent in a world that doesn't need their lunacy, have come up with seven new deadly sins.  You might remember the last seven:

• Pride
  • Envy
  • Gluttony
  • Lust
  • Anger
  • Greed
  • Sloth

These largely make sense, and might loosely be based on the original 10 commandments.  Some of them seem redundant to me: Lust, Gluttony, Greed and Envy?  Aren't these all simply a strong desire for more and more? 

The new list is very contemporary, and includes such popular buzzwords as bioethics and stem cells.  Much like the recent revision of unbaptized babies going to limbo (or not), this move by the church smacks of desperation to me.  I mean, if I was running a church that was becoming less relevent, I'd probably issue a press release filled with controversial, modern day hot topics too.

The new list:
  • "Bioethical" violations such as birth control
  • "Morally dubious" experiments such as stem cell research
  • Drug abuse
  • Polluting the environment
  • Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor
  • Excessive wealth
  • Creating poverty

Fuck the catholic church.  "Birth Control" might be on a sadists' list of things to prevent, but it has no place in the mind of any right-thinking individual.  In case the pope's pointy hat really is a dunce cap (whether he was already stupid or the cap made him this way I'll leave to others to decide) I'll make it really clear: We already have enough people.  Let's make fewer, shall we?

And aren't the last three redundant?  Hoarding 'excessive wealth' is something the catholic church itself is guilty of, and what happens when you pool a lot of money in one place?  Well it removes the money from circulation, leaving less for other people, creating poverty and widening the gap.

Whoever made this list was an idiot.

How can anyone take seriously an organization that purports to speak for god but revises their rules whenever attendance falls?  "God says your baby's going to hell!  Oh, wait, no he doesn't!"
BLEARGH
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2008-03-12, 10:00 by NFG.
Edit reason: somehow somehow...  ergh.
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
"As you hold true on earth, so shall I in heaven." That was the promise of Peter, made by God to the first pope. The popular interpretation of this is that the Pope is infallible when speaking on behalf of God, but more importantly that the Pope can administer the church in a way that fits the times. Consider the Catholic church changing the rules to fit current lifestyles and technology, and compare this to the outdated laws and prohibitions of Judaism and Islam, which are literal and unchanging in spite of improved health and safety (and the complete lack of wolves in New York to steal corpses away.)

Of course, modern humanity is informed and empowered in a way that no organized religion has been prepared to deal with. We make our own decisions and decide for ourselves what is right or wrong, moral or immoral. As we are so empowered, so too are we directly responsible for the consequences of our actions. I don't fault people for looking to religion to guide them through the mess that is life, but I also expect to be afforded the same consideration when I claim no religion or religious affiliation of my own.
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I fault people.  I have to.  As Galileo said:

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

I have a brain and I am unable to turn it off.  I cannot watch people throw away reason for safety without believing they're shorting themselves. 

It's a bit of a jump to the next point, but Benjamin Franklin said "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."  If you throw away your capabilities as a free-thinking individual, I am compelled to wonder what value you have, as a person, and as a cog in this massive societal machine.

The older I get the more I realize people, as a whole, are a lot dumber than I thought they were.  =(
BLEARGH
Author name #4
User title: 21st century digital boy
Member since Sep 2007 · 17 posts · Location: Cambridge, UK
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Subject: WORDS WORDS WORDS
I'm generally not a big fan of organised religion - while it may be that fear of God helped people in the dark ages with not being dicks to each other, I think people would probably have figured the whole "don't be a dick" thing out without having a huge organisation shoving the fear of God down their throats. And those of everyone else who may or may not have cared.

Religion can be a great motivator for good as well as evil - mostly, I'm just indifferent to it because everyone has enough of a brain to know that it's not cool to stab someone in the face or set fire to their livestock. Most people just don't use their brain enough, which I partly blame on organised religion (and quite a few other things, but that is another story and shall be told another time).

People who honestly think that it's a great idea to murder or generally be a dick to those who don't agree with them have something far more wrong with them than just being religious fanatics - that's just their excuse. Yeah, great, the flying spaghetti monster told you that all pizza lovers need to die, now get the fuck off my planet.

Since we're going about quoting things, my general idea is that no sane person really wants to be a dick to others and everyone who does needs to either stop and think or fuck right off. In crass contrast to Galileo and Franklin quotes, the German thrash metal band Kreator summarised this idea thusly:

You are to me a waste of flesh and blood
I'd love to see you buried in the mud
And when you die no one will shed a tear
So pass me by, don't need your hatred here

In short: I'll happily be a nice person to everyone except people who aren't nice to others. The world would be a much better place if everyone followed a philosophy of Not Being A Dick. Many people do, but by far not enough.

Slightly relatedly, one thing that comforts me a lot is the knowledgemy almost religious belief that at some distant point in time, all of the bad things any human being has ever done will have been forgotten with not even a trace of them left.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: use an inappropriate quotation in a discussion about a sensitive topic
"Hell is a pretty rotten place. Not only is it damn hot, but its inhabitants also have a rather deranged sense of humour." (R. Karsmakers)
This post was edited on 2008-03-12, 10:34 by theoutrider.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!