game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 309

Author name #1
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Hitting phone marketers where it hurts
I've done a bad thing, and to ease the karmic balance I come here to confess it.

As many of you know, a great deal of telephone solicitation is enacted from India where labor is relatively cheap. Knowing this, I had this conversation with a marketer just a few minutes ago:

Me: Hello?
Them: Hello?
Me: Hello.
Them: How are you, sir?
Me: That depends on who you are, doesn't it?
Them: My name is Heather. I'm calling from xxxxxxx and your phone number has been selected to receive a free wireless telephone. May I offer you a wireless mobile phone plan?
Me: *sigh*
Them: Sir?
Me: What is your name?
Them: My name is Heather.
Me: Heather, is your last name Khan or Singh?
Them: I'm sorry?
Me: I can't do business with you unless you are a Brahmin. If you're a Dalit, I shouldn't even be talking to you.

I hung up at that point. I figure, if they're going to keep calling me, I'm going to find the shortest path between point A and hurt feelings at point B to stop them from calling. I've ignored the last two phone calls, whch I imagine are from an angry manager demanding to know why I discriminate based on caste. That's only illegal in India and not anywhere else, if I recall correctly.
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
My reply was eaten.  Rest assured, it was pithy and its loss should be lamented.

Kudos to you though for learning about people in other countries, even if it is only to discriminate against them. =D

As an aside, the head of our Canadian office told us one day he was opening a call centre in India.  We told him flat out that if he did that he was a retard.  So he's opening one in the Philippines instead.   =/
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!