game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 314

It's all downhill.
submit to reddit
Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Brain Age
Last weekend, I got my results from my own battery of test, and was surprised to hear that despite being 50 years old, my "brain age" is in my 20s. I was quick in responses and usually pretty accurate, said Wesnes.

"But that doesn't mean that you weren't sharper in your 20s," he said. "We are all on our own scale, and we all decline with age."

Few things scare me quite as much as losing my mind.  I have a good brain, it's served me well for a long time, but it's a sad fact that few people my age are as sharp as we were a decade ago.  Maybe.  The great part about our brains is that we can't tell, from the inside, if we're getting dumber.  Some days we may struggle to remember which end of our underwear goes to the front, but speaking for myself I've always had that trouble on occasion.

I don't want to get older, I don't want to get dumber, but I'm gonna do it 'cause - as my dad says - the alternative to getting older is a lot worse.

Quote from this article which talks about brain enhancements and monitoring.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
We looked at this in my lifecycle class this semester.

Everybody pretty much declines the same amount, what differs is the level you started at. So if you start of well, you'll decline to a decent level, but if you start off a moron you'll decline to vegetable status.

Also declines occur in myelin (the coverings of nerves that allow messages to go fast!) so that it takes longer for information to be passed around the brain and body.

And you lose motor units (nueron and muscle fibre packages) so that movements are less fine and slower.

AND you lose fast twitch fibres meaning slower reflexes, movements etc. So you're more likely to fall and hurt yourself.

I could go on for ages, but I don't want to be boring :)
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Yeah, no need to remind me of the decrepit state of my body and mind. =(

I need some myelin grease.  I wonder if they sell it at SuperCheap...
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
You're right NFG, I don't need to remind you that while I'm in my prime both physically and mentally, you're just heading downhill daily..... no need at all.

But on the plus side you are .... wiser? More worldly? Well .... balder at least!
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!