game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 321

Author name #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: My shiny new Flash
The other day I finally received my shinny new strobe in the mail, thus i have spent the last day and a bit playing around, basically i don't really know what I'm doing, its all purely experimental and trial and error..but a lot of fun!
Here are two shots I'm quite happy with:(the first one is completely unedited while the second one i have played with some of the levels)
[Image: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/BM84/IMG_3069a.jpg]

[Image: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/BM84/2-2.jpg]
(comments, suggestions? :))
I am still using the strobe as oncamera since my RF remote has not arrived yet, cant wait for it though :)

Slowly getting the hang of some of he basics of my flash and I'm reading through the Strobist blog (101 of Lighting) only thing that is annoying me is that they don't really give you a detailed breakdown of what all the settings on a flash are exactly, and never having used off camera flashes this is proving a steep learning curve as my flash only has manual options.
[Image: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/BM84/IMG_3165a.jpg]
feel free to tell me about the settings if you like :)
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
If that flash has no TTL logic (if it's not Canon it won't, if it's old it might not) then you can't expect very good automatic results.  If you're shooting AUTO on your camera, you'll have trouble getting the flash to output a consistant light, since the camera settings will vary without your knowledge.

Did you not get a manual with it?  I could guess at most of the features, but if you've got a manual it'll save some time.  =)
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Camera is running full manual, but as the flash is not canon or similar the camera doesn't communicate with the flash beyond telling it to fire. which is fine with me, I want to learn to use the manual options. there is something resembling a manual..its in Chinese...XD
I just have to work out exaclty what effect changing the flash ISO and and the other switches on the back do, practice practice..
I haven't really tried to use the A setting on he bottom left I'm concentrating on the M and 1/16 (seems to be a low output setting).
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name (Administrator) #4
I've never used a flash as complicated as yours...  Or rather, mine are more complicated but I just set them to Manual and adjust the power.  One of mine will do 1/128 and the other as low as 1/64. 

I would imagine that upping the ISO drops the power, and you select the actual output (red or yellow) based on the subject's estimated distance from the camera, as seen on that chart, and matched against aperture...  Or something!

I'd just play with it, find out how to make the power go UP and make it go DOWN, then just wing it.  That's what I do.

Also, the 28/35/50/80 is probably the width of the light output.  Selecting those moves the mechanism closer/farther from the flash output lens.
BLEARGH
Author name #5
Well..my RF remote has now arrived so the experimenting has begun!

*photos are no longer on the tubes*

still working out what camera settings work well with the flash...
This post was edited on 2009-12-02, 16:55 by Junpei.
Author name #6
[Image: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/BM84/IMG_3112a.jpg]
i like it :) still need more practice with settings...but learning.
Author name (Administrator) #7
Hey, that looks pretty awesome!  Well done.  =D

My only suggestion: Move the flash farther left, remove the bright white hotspot from being visible through the flap.  Would put more focus on the lovely Kaccey.  =D
BLEARGH
Author name #8
i was madly looking for something to put on the flash to turn it into a omnistorbe, but i only had one Tupperware container and it wasn't the right shape.
poor KCs eyes got a punishment to get this shot XD
Author name #9
a few more notable flash shots

This post was edited on 2009-12-02, 16:56 by Junpei.
Author name #10
Today while Kc ran off to play basketball I ran around the back yard playing with the flash. Last night I had this idea, I have seen a few photos in which one person appears several time (shooped clones), what I wanted to do was something similar but with a long exposure and my flash, so basically this idea prevented me from going to sleep for about 2 hours..all I wanted to do was go out right there and then and try it, but decided that waiting till the next day would probably be the better idea as it would not cause Kc to try to remove my head with a rusty fork as it was quite late already.
ok..enough of that.. here is some examples with the flash in a fixed position:

And two carrying the flash with me (the second one is actually a composite of two shots as I didn't get one where both positions where good)

camera settings for all of them:
ISO - 80
shutter - 15''
aperture - 8

What I really like about these is that I had this nagging idea in my head for a shot..and then when I tried it..it pretty much worked out just like I expected/hoped!  =)
This post was edited on 2009-12-02, 16:56 by Junpei.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!