game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 322

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: My next cellular phone
Ladies and gentlemen, my next phone: the Sony Ericsson C905.

It's still got the shitty 240x320 QVGA screen, but it has an <pause for effect> eight megapixel camera and real Xenon flash, the perfect thing for a photo nut like me.  It also has:
  * GPS & Google maps
  * 2GB memory card (Shitty old Sony M2, meh)
  * DLNA (I'd never heard of it either, but it looks cool)
  * Wi-Fi
  * Bluetooth, of course
  * 3D video chip, FM radio, MP3 ringtones
  * TV-out (yay, finally a phone as good as the one I had 5 years ago in Japan!)

I briefly considered the VGA-resolution Xperia, but although it has a real VGA screen, there's no fucking way I'm buying a nother Windows Mobile device.  The piece of shit Asus PDA I had was enough crap for me.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
So yeah. My mobile rocks.
Sucks to be people who hate thier phones so they have to keep replacing them!
Author name (Administrator) #3
You silly luddite.  I don't replace my phone 'cause the current one is deficient in some way: I replace it 'cause the next one is BETTER.

The hunt for newer, better, faster...  That's what makes us MEN.  It's what advances our species.  Strive, drive, alive.
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Yeah, so while you're out spending your money on a peice of electronics that does exactly the same thing as your current one, I'll do something more fun.

Seriously, they're phones. They're designed to contact other people on. If I want to take photos, I use a camera. If I want to play games I use a console. Otherwise I allow my memory to take photos for me, and my imagination to play games.

I don't get a lot of the phone hype. But I guess that's because I'm awesome.
Author name (Administrator) #5
I rarely use my phone for phoning people.  It's a communication device: It sends pictures, it sends messages, it reads the news, it even downloads my favourite RSS feeds.  It's a modem for my laptop, it's entertainment on the train, it's the EVERYTHING MACHINE.

You hate new things, you hate to try them.  It's such a chore to get you to try a new browser, even.  You just don't have the drive, baby.  Enjoy living in the past - I'll send you a photo of the future from my phone.  =)
BLEARGH
Author name #6
Yeah, I don't spend my time trying out 101 new things each day because I seriously couldn't be assed. I keep up with what's out there, and when I feel like something new is substantially better than what I have, or fills a hole in my life, then I use it.

I use my phone for the only things I need it for - phone and text. I have never ever wanted something else in it. Hell, I've even found uses for it that it wasn't designed for. Like a torch!!!

I love new things. They excite me, and I love what people brighter than me come up with. But the fact is, not every new invention has to be used by me personally. Take a new medical procedure. It's faster, safer and has a better outcome than the last. I can say yeah, that's awesome, but I don't then feel the need to try it out on myself, because I had one a while ago and it's still working fine.

Also- changing the way my computer is set up halfway through a semester isn't the best for me. I like to keep things the same when I need them the most. Doesn't mean that I'm not considering changing EVER. Silly.
Author name (Administrator) #7
So two nights ago I was dreaming about cellphones.  A friend and I were traipsing around my neighborhood when we came across a man selling phones from his van.  The friend I was with is well known in the real world for buying shit he doesn't need and later selling it to get something else he doesn't need (Hi corpsicle!) and his excitement about the phones was contagious.

I bought the C905 (the subject of this thread) for $397, which was about half the going rate, and was working out how to break the budget-splosion news to Zumi when the dealer breaks out the iPhone.  I was all 'meh' untill he shows me just how ultra sexy it was.  Corpsicle's enthusiasm had ruined me, so I bought the iPhone too, for the same $397. 

Oddly I remember the seller's name from the receipt quite clearly: Ian Leung.  Weird.  Anyway, in my dream I was massively stressed about how to break the news to Zumi that I bought TWO four-hundred-dollar phones...  And then I woke up.

Later that same day, zumi gives me my xmas present: A brand new C905 phone.  =D

How prescient is that?  Dreaming about something the day I get it as a gift.  I'm so damned awesome.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #8
A long overdue update: this phone was a dud.  Despite having the best feature-set in the world, it was a real disaster for Sony, with a d-pad that broke down and got mushy and hard to press inside of two weeks.  I replaced mine, and the new one did the same thing in the same time.  A friend had one and his did it.  It was a hugely common problem and ruined the experience of the phone.  Quite a letdown to go from the sublime experience of the k800i to this.

The GPS and google maps worked brilliantly, until halfway through navigation it'd just stop getting updated maps and you'd have to start over.  On any trip over 10 minutes long this was basically guaranteed to happen.

It made me realize two things:

1. A company that makes a great thing isn't always going to make great things.
2. Buying things based on hardware specs is stupid.  It's the software that matters.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!