game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 324

Forum: Our World Australia RSS
Bypassing Australian Law since 2007...
submit to reddit
Author name #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: World Youth Date
With World Youth day just around the corner the government has suddenly decided to introduce some rather controversial new laws, in short:
The regulations give authorities powers to order anyone to stop any behaviour that “causes annoyance or inconvenience to participants in a World Youth Day event”. The laws have the potential to make a crime of things such as wearing a T-shirt with an anti-Catholic message, handing out condoms at protests, or even playing music, said critics.
Anyone who does not comply faces a AU$5,500 (€3,359) fine.
The police claim that these laws are nothing more than an extension of existing laws which apply at sporting and music events and consider it to be quite reasonable since the laws *only* apply in a limited number of locations:
The extra police powers will apply to 40 city locations, including museums, galleries, cinemas, parks, and venues where the pope will appear.
The President of the New South Wales Bar Association (barristers), Anna Katzmann had this to say about the new laws:
"They are repugnant for two reasons. First of all the government has by-passed the normal parliamentary scrutiny...and secondly they are an unreasonable interference with people's freedom of speech and movement,"
(I like the word ‘repugnant’)  And here I thought you could only bypass the parliament when the country is in a state of emergency or war...
Furthermore the government has introduced laws which list:
More than 500 schools and 35 train and bus stations as "declared areas" where people entering will be subject to car and baggage searches that require them to remove jackets, shoes and headwear if requested.
So now we are to be subjected to airport type scrutiny while trying to go to work or school. Now I for one find this very very worrying, Australia is already a highly regulated country but laws like these bring us closer to being a police state and a government that is ruled by and controls its people with paranoia.
It’s good to see that at least someone isn’t taking this lying down:
If it's trying to have a deterrent effect, it certainly won't have that on the Chaser, people should not stay home in an attempt not to offend people. I reckon everyone in New South Wales who's concerned about civil liberties should be printing up T-shirts and walking around World Youth Day to make their statement
Here is a short article in which Sydney Police try to defend the new laws.
Articles:
The Chasers won’t be stopped
Article in the Irish Times
another article in the Irish Times

The above is just the most recent controversy involving World Youth Day, some of the other controversies which I found:
Gay Forum Blocked
WYD Funding challenge
I find it fascinating how the Catholic Church can have such influence over a government which claims to support religious freedom (and is bound to this freedom by law); yet millions of dollars are invested in a purely Catholic festival and new laws and regulations introduced which quite obviously enforce the teachings of the Catholic Church, I seriously doubt the government would do the same for any other festival being held by any other religion.
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name #2
just heard some more interesting points on the news
- the new laws actually protect one specific group: you can't offend the Catholics, but they can offend you! that is lawful discrimination. O_o
- 'causing annoyance' what does that mean? its extremely subjective
- charges can be laid by any official supervisor: police, SES, firefighters etc..
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I'm so glad you posted this.  I was unable to sufficiently corral my outrage to make a coherent post about it.  It's so fucking preosterous I can't believe _anyone_ can just accept it, as if it's just fine to fuck the majority over for a vocal minority.

Or maybe they're sitting at home, vibrating in a purple rage, like I am.
BLEARGH
Author name #4
hmm also interesting to note that apart from news reports on TV there is little coverage of it, most of the information i could find was from international sites, this leads me to 2 possible conclusions:
 1 Australians don't care - now this would really really really suck
 2 Subtle media blackout..maybe a little too conspiracy theory nut but it does all seem so very convenient

Sadly I am leaning more towards the possibility that Australians don't really care, a sad fact i have noticed ever since I moved here, too many Australians don't really seem care what is going on in politics as long as they can do what ever it is they want to do.
Apathy...blah!><
/end rant
Author name (Administrator) #5
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I've noticed that about Australians too.  They're a lot like Americans in that respect: ignorant, and fiercely proud of it.  What's interesting to me though is that Australians are so far successful at being uninvolved, where obviously it's led to a precipitous decline in American values and society.  I can't help but think Australia's just a little behind the US in the cycle.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."  So sayeth Thomas Jefferson, and so I believe.

[edit: 1000th post!  Woo!]
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2008-07-07, 10:20 by NFG.
Author name #6
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
I think the thing about Australians is:

We do take notice of what's going on.
But if we can't change it then we don't get worked up about it.
And if we can change it then we don't get worked up about it because we'll just go and try and change it as best we can.

Seriously, why worry about things you can't change? Why worry about things you can?

There are some things I realise I'm never going to have a sway over, and I'm not passionate about it to make the effort ot try and get change. The things I am passionate about, I will try and change as much as is within my power.

But yes, some Australians are ignorant. But so are people in every country.
Author name #7
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Double post because this is different:

I am pissed off about this. I hate the religious status of our government influencing descisions, and when law is passed directly relating to discrimination in one direction about one group, well that shits me.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!