game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 344

Wow, it's so bad it's awesome.
submit to reddit
Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: MegaMan 9 cover art
Over on the Kokoromi blog I found a post showing off the new MegaMan 9 cover art.  MM9, if you don't know, is a WiiWare game scheduled for later this year.  It's a NES-era MegaMan game with NES-era graphics and sound.  Capcom obviously has a great sense of humor and released this 'cover' for the downloadable game:

[Image: /grafx/games/MegaMan9.jpg]

How fucking brilliant is that?  I mean, ULTRASOUND GRAPHICS SYNTHESIS!!  8-BIT FIDELITY ENGINE!!

Quote by Kokoromi:
Notice and appreciate the superfluous and non-existant handgun. Best thing to come out of an otherwise crushingly depressing E3.

Edit: I should maybe specify that this is the cover for Megaman 9, which was announced by Capcom at E3. The game uses the same good old pixel art as the other NES Megaman games. Genius! It’s coming out on Wii Ware later this year. Cover of the year!
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
There's a great interview with Hironobu Takeshita, the producer of MegaMan 9, over on GamaSutra.

One thing I noticed is that your T-shirt has ironically bad artwork on it. I don't know how long you've been at Capcom, but when American games used to have bad artwork on the cover that was different from the Japanese art, what did you think about that?

HT: That art was very terrible. (laughter) It was atrocious. I'm happy that gamers back then were able to look past that atrocious art and find these good games and were able to enjoy them. We appreciate that.

Looking back, that stuff is 20 years old now, so we can look at that art and laugh at it. Even us in Japan, we laugh at it too. We thought about it and were like, "Yeah, let's do something like this." So Capcom of America came up with the design for us, and then we made these shirts in Japan.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!