game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 354

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Dwarf Fortress
You know, it's really weird when a game is more fun to read about than play.  The first time this happened was this Something Awful Day in the life of The Sims: I had no interest in the game, but fuck was it funny to read about Lowtax's adventure.

Dward Fortress is the next one: The game is as daunting as anything I can imagine, with a text-only display that makes my head hurt just thinking about it.  This quote, from Three Panel Soul makes me laugh, a lot:

Quote by TPS:
Even with two butcher shops going full-tilt, I can barely put a dent in the stray population. However, each butchery triggers one of my tanners to go to work. One top of that, I've had to build new shops and train new bonecrafters, chefs and leatherworkers just to keep my storehouses of raw materials from overflowing. It's reached the point where my entire dwarven economy is based around the slaughter of helpless kittens, which is a rather spectacular way for a civilization to decline.

That last line just slays me.  An economy based on breeding and utilizing cats is a very, very spectacular way for a civilization to decline.

Dwarf Fortress, a game with basically no plot, practically demands its player write stories about it.  One particularly interesting thing I read was a single game, run between many players.  Each player controlled the fortress for one in-game year, and wrote about what happened.

The last ruler ordered a 300-foot-long gecko to be built as a decoration. While it's rather pretty, i ordered the construction to be suspended, on the threat of bashing their heads in.

The indefinitely burning enchanted puppy outside the gate turned out NOT to be a hallucination.  Smells awful. I'm considering flooding the valley to put it out.

"Megor Grendel" tried to extract the flaming puppy, but caught fire and died instead! By the gods, WHY?!

The elves traded their wagon of cloth for a few of the many slightly-burnt weapons laying around the gate. I think the piles of yellowing bones and the still-smoldering Grendel put them off a bit.

The miner's guild representative wanted to pick up some clothes and now he runs around on fire.

That all this stuff happens in the game just astounds me.

Dwarf Fortress:
[Image: http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/Thread%202/Update%2022/grendel.jpg]
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2008-07-25, 20:34 by NFG.
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
I've downloaded the game and I've tried to play the single-player dungeon crawler, as opposed to the big RTS fortress thing. For a text-based roguelike, it sure demands a lot of processing power. My poor laptop sat there for five hours while it created the history of the fortress and all its associated literature.

I can respect a game that's purposefully complex and off-putting, since they're not trying to sell this to the masses. Still, a little entry-level tutorial wouldn't hurt its appeal.
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
What's embarassing is I used the tutorial and still couldn't make head or tails of it.  Also, I must confess without reservation that am, on at least some level, a graphics whore.
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Have you seen the tileset that Ian McConnville made for the game? Nicely graphical and representative, and I think they posted it in their comic rants right there in ThreePanelSoul at some point.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!