game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 372

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Brain Age 2: My aunt had a stroke
The brain is a wonderfully pliant piece of equipment.  My aunt recently suffered a very minor stroke.  Out of nowhere she basically couldn't type at all, and her spell-checker basically uninstalled itself, 'cause it simply couldn't make sense of her words.

Quote by My Aunt:
sendin pic if jiss wen we wende out se slept in lynten bag

She saw a therapist this morning, and she suggested my aunt say each letter aloud as she types.  The change was immediate:

Quote by My Aunt:
she says it is only the brain signal and if i say all the letters out loud i can do it

While she's saying each letter it engages parts of the brain dormant when she's silent, and this segment seems to be relaying signals to the parts in control of the typing.  In the same way people with bad stutters can speak clearly when they sing, the brain just re-wires itself any way it can.

It's nice to have her back.  =)
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
The craziest example I've ever heard of this is a guy who couldn't speak at all clearly, unless he put on a stupid over the top accent. Because it was then using a different part of the brain, he could speak quite well then.

Strokes always interest me, simply because of how people do things that are completely wrong, but can't pick up on it. Or they know it's wrong, but have no idea why. A good test they often use with stroke victims is to get them to draw a clock. They put all the numbers on it, but they'll only put them into one half, or a quater of the circle, rather than all the way around. They think it's fine until asked to look at it more closely, and they know that something's not quite right, but they don't know that the numbers should be going all the way round.

While sad for those involved, I think it's a fascinating thing.

Glad your aunt is coping :) It must be increadibly frustrating.
Author name (Administrator) #3
She's doing SO much better now that she can type again.  Speaking the letters aloud is a small price to pay for regaining control of your brain...

Brain injuries are, as you say, fascinating. 

I've got a great book for you, remind me to bring it to the national jam.  =)
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Will do! Then you'll have to remind me to bring it to the next one, because I doubt I'll see you between times :P
Author name (Administrator) #5
As far as your boyfriend knows, anyway.   ;-)
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!