game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 376

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Capcom's Street Fighter: Pixel Theory
Over on Capcom's Blog there was a post discussing some pixel art theory.  Turns out the developers of the new high-def Street Fighter remake were using a lot of colours, resulting in a lot of extra work for the artists.

Consider the two images below: The first has many more colours than the second, and you can imagine how much extra effort it would involve to apply so many extra gradients from light to dark. 

[Image: /grafx/games/StreetFighter-gradients-1.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/games/StreetFighter-gradients-2.jpg]

As seen in a recent Henk Nieborg interview, he confirms that the need for speed outweighs the luxury of applying many-coloured gradients.

Quote by Henk Nieborg:
Everything needs to be faster today. Most jobs i get need to be done ASAP for some reason. ;) It also shows when you look closely at my pixels from the last few years. I do not use that many different tints (gradient) for a single color anymore. For instance i used about 4-6 different tints on one color for Contra4. I used about 16 tints per color in Lomax. That was a little bit overdoing it really looking back on it. :) Anyway, Reducing the amount of colors is saving a lot of time. People are still happy with the result so why not.
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2008-08-20, 18:11 by NFG.
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2008 · 5 posts
Group memberships: Members
Excuse my ignorance but can't they just do a palette swap?
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
The two example images were designed to show the levels of shading, not the different colours.  You're solving the wrong problem.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!