game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 384

GameCube, GBA, DS
submit to reddit
Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: On tiny D-pads
The Gamecube pad as a whole is sublime.  It's very well constructed, has a unique and thoughtful layout, and fantastic tactile response, but the d-pad doesn't get much love. 

Most of the complaints maintain that the d-pad is too small.  It is identical, however, to the GameBoy Advance pad, and only about 0.3mm smaller than the DS pad.  Neither of these garners the same range of complaint as the GameCube pad...  I wonder if the whingers realize this?

[Image: http://nfggames.com/grafx/Controls/dpads-GBA-GC-DS.jpg]

What's the big deal, eh?
BLEARGH
Author name #2
User title: Nao Oikawa says, "Time for a wank!"
Member since May 2008 · 4 posts · Location: Washington, US
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Wannabe Denizens
I realize it, and I don't blame the d-pad directly.  I think it's a design failure.

The d-pad is consumed by this goofy concave pit, where the handhelds you are comparing it to have flat surfaces.

The position/size choice for the d-pad also seems detrimental.  Would it be so difficult to hit your desired direction if your thumb naturally fell onto it?  This works for the 360 because the d-pad is larger, so it's easier to work with (that is, if its design weren't flawed to begin with).
Author name #3
Member since Sep 2008 · 5 posts
Group memberships: Members
Funny you should include the DS lite's d-pad.  IMHO probably one of the worst d-pads on handhelds.
Author name #4
User title: Mod Apprentice
Member since Jan 2010 · 6 posts · Location: Salem, Oregon USA
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
In reply to post #1
it really is the concave of the controller that makes it bad, without it, it would be less bad, but I still prefer a big dpad like on the wii classic controller.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!