game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 414

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Hacking the GC Hori Pad
Quite some time ago I really wanted to use my NeoGeo joystick on the GameCube.  Hudson had released Star Soldier, and it was a great game, but you had to frantically pound the fire button to get the best weapon...  And this was nigh impossible with a regular GC pad.  It was only moderately easier with Hori's SNES-style GameCube pad...  And since I didn't have a GC joystick available, I needed to come up with something better.

And this was it.  In a somewhat sacriligeous move I hacked up a Hori GC pad, not knowing that years later they'd be somewhat rare.

...Actually I probably wouldn't have cared.  =)

This image was for my own benefit: where to cut, without wiping out any components I needed, and what trace on the PCB was for what button.  It was easier to do it this way than try to figure it out after cutting the PCB...  In hindsight I could just as easily have made notes on a piece of paper...

[Image: http://nfgcontrols.com/grafx/technical/GC_padhack1.jpg]

I was quite lucky that every necessary component of this pad was in a small cluster.  Once cut, I had only to run a handful of wires from this central area to the DB15 connector...  Presto!  Instant NeoGeo -> GameCube adaptor.

The final touch was, of course, to shove the entire contents into a gutted Dreamcast 3rd-party memory card...  It fit remarkably well.

[Image: http://nfgcontrols.com/grafx/technical/GC_padhack2.jpg]
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!