game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 416

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: NEC's FX-SCSI Adaptor for PC-FX
This little item's a bit rare.  I haven't had it for YEARS but found the pics and thought I'd share.

Basically it's a plug-in module for the PCFX that allows a computer to use the PCFX as a SCSI CD-ROM drive.  NEC had a similar prototype running on the old PC Engine and TurboGrafx, but it was never released.

[Image: /grafx/games/hardware/PCFX-SCSI-1.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/games/hardware/PCFX-SCSI-2.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/games/hardware/PCFX-SCSI-3.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/games/hardware/PCFX-SCSI-5.jpg]
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Was there not a similar interface for the PC-CD removable unit? As I recall, NEC didn't anticipate the CD-ROM becoming standard issue equipment for the IBM computers of the age and made a cable so people could repurpose their valuable PC-Engine optical drives. Who knew, eh?
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Not really, no.  There was one unit in the PC88 line that had a docking bay that could accept the PCE CD (or the identical but rebadged PC unit).  Since the drive was only compatible with one specific computer the idea was very short lived.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!