game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 424

Author name #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Shooting live bands
This is something Klips knows lots about, but i don't! so i thought this would be a fun challenge.
Here are some of the standouts:

*photos no longer on the tubes*
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2010-07-19, 14:09 by Junpei.
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
That's pretty good work, I like the second one (above) a lot.  I assume it was their light behind the drum set, not yours?

How did you find it, shooting under those conditions?  Did any of my advice help?
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Yeah the drums is inhouse lighting, problem was that the light guy was not there so once they where playing the drums had zero light on them..which limited my shooting choices.
I started with available light, and tried the 'high ISO, fixed Av' option, but I found that the pictures became too grainy as soon as I went above 400 ISO.
In the end I was shooting mostly between 80 and 200 ISO at around 8 - 30 shutter and 2.3 - 4 Aperture for both available light and flash photos.
The fact that there was only light on the front of the stage really annoyed me, it meant that I could get good shots of Nat(singer) but not of Alex (drums), and when I used the remote flash on Alex I had the choice of either illuminating him or the drums, not both..
Also...red light sucks for auto focusing (duh! no surprise there really) so I'm really looking forward to the day when I have a proper lens and manual focus, I would say for this type of photography a proper SLR would make all the difference, the G9 behaved wonderfully but I was really missing having more control over the lens and focus...
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
This post was edited on 2008-09-24, 20:20 by Junpei.
Author name #4
User title: Dreaming of a 40D
Member since Sep 2007 · 35 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal
Hey mate,

The funny thing is, the smaller the venue the less experience you need to get a photo pass (if you need one at all) but the better camera you'll need to get good images. The larger the venue, the more experience you need but to get the experience it's likely that you'll have a big camera from shooting the smaller venues!

A few bits of advice:
1) get close. wide shots rarely work as well as close ups (faces/torsos) unless there's something specific you're shooting wide for
2) red light is the bane of alllllll gig photographers, you just get used to it and try to work around it. B+W is a good way of dealing with it, and it allows you to go to higher ISOs as noise is, for some reason, demmed more acceptable in B+W.
3) keep practising, shoot a range of venues, find what works for you. It's good fun once you start nailing things, I have to say.

[Image: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2874594323_45e01b7d1c.jpg]
Author name #5
Subject: Thread revival
Thought I'd revive this thread.
Its been about 2 years since the above photos, I have upgraded my equipment and learned a few things.
Klips advice above is very true, but as I never bothered to get a photo pass I have spent a lot of time in the crowd with a tele lens and taking wide shots from a bit further away and have found that it can actually work quite well.
Also at bigger events the crowds are often more interesting than the bands themselves.

Some Interesting things happening in the crowd:
[Image: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4383865069_fcc21c9bab.jpg]

[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2619/4384632886_676443eaf4.jpg]

[Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4121729700_00e9f4d6fd.jpg]

And some very wide shots taken about 80m from the stage:
*dead photos*

One of these days I think I will try to do some actual live bands photos were I hang out near or on stage, but for now I will work on getting better at getting interesting things from a distance! :)
This post was edited on 2010-07-19, 14:11 by Junpei.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!