game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 425

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Photo News: Total Failure
I picked up a new lens yesterday, a Sigma 12-24mm ultra-super-extreme wideangle, and it's defective.  The right side of every image is soft, WAY soft, as you can see.

I'm really disappointed, not least because I recently settled on this lens instead of the Nikon 14-24mm which costs three times as much, is twice as big and twice as heavy.

So it's going back, as soon as I get ahold of the guys I bought it from...  Hopefully they can get me another in time for next week's National Jam in Canberra.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #2
The camera shop is gonna take it back and refund me...  I'm pleased about that.  The lens, when it was working well, was great fun.  It's HUUUUUGELY wide!  Check out these examples:

Inside of my car  <- window to window, across the dash.

My office desk  <- my office desk.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
But will you have a new one for nat jam? :P

That lens has a very interesting effect on the photos, in the second shot (office) there is a similar distortion as fish eye in the middle of the shot which I'm guessing would be less pronounced when the shot is of something more like a landscape...it seems to stretch things abit along the horizontal axis when they are close to the camera..but the signature fish eye corner distortion is not there..

enough ranting, I don't really know what I'm talking about except for the fact that I want one!
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
This post was edited on 2008-09-25, 08:35 by Junpei.
Author name (Administrator) #4
What you're describing is, basically, the difference between a fisheye and rectilinear wide-angle lens.  The rectilinear uses different lens geometry to keep the lines straight no matter where they fall in the frame.  This can result in some pretty wicked stretching in the corners, a trade-off for having eliminated the fisheye curves.

I'm bringing my old 10-17mm fisheye with me to natjam.  While at the widest (10mm) it's basically unusable, from 15-17mm it works just fine on the new full-frame camera, and is, in fact, as wide as it was on the old one at that length.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!