game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 453

Author name #1
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Capcom Fighter, ASCII FT2
I have a couple of new toys. This is not a review, so I'm sticking them in the general chatter section. Also, I'm shamelessly stealing other people's photos rather than making my own.

The Capcom Fighter Power Stick should be familiar to anybody who took their Street Fighter SNES action seriously:
[Image: http://www.prismnet.com/~kkc/gamesx/capcomstick.jpg]

I'm not as big a Nintendo fanboy as Lawrence is. The bulk of my 16-bit gaming enjoyment occurred on Sega hardware. Still, I'm a sucker for nicely constructed joysticks. If you turn the thing over, you can see the giant flathead screws holding the stick and its clicky switches in place. However, the funny off-center orientation means it's hard to tell where the cardinal directions are. It's very hard for me to pull off the fireball move with this stick. For Pac Man action, there's a slider near the stick that lets you cancel diagonals and get only four directions.

The ASCII Fighter Pad FT2 was adorned with art to promote whatever fighting game was hot on the Dreamcast or the PS2 at the time. My PS2 pad is a plain grey one, but it's no less functional:
[Image: http://www.prismnet.com/~kkc/gamesx/ascii_pad_ft2_front.jpg]

I bought this for a song from NCS because it was broken and they didn't have time to fix it. I just recently resurrected it by reflowing all the solder around the encoder chip. It's an excellent digital pad, with nice solid action buttons and clicky shoulder buttons, and the pad is flexible without being mushy. However, as I'm used to the proportions of the Saturn and Genesis/Megadrive pads, the button layout is slightly unfriendly to thumb users. Doing the pinky grip so you can use three fingers on each row works quite well though.

I'm not a big fan of the stock PS1/PS2 controllers. For fighting games and anything that doesn't need analog functions, I'll go for this pad, a tiny Hori pad or a Neo Geo-styled controller whenever possible.
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
When the Capcom stick was released in North America, I hated it.  It was the first Japanese-style stick I'd ever seen, and after years of playing arcade machines with rock-tough HAPP sticks and slow, stiff home sticks like the ASCII and Sega devices of the era, the sloppy Capcom stick was just effeminate and annoying.  Years later, after growing used to many Japanese sticks, I can see the Capcom stick for what it is: A very solid, high-quality device that totally deserves its fan following.  It's loaded with features, looks good and works well.

There's more info on this stick on the GameSX Wiki.

As for the ASCII pads...  They're almost perfect.  I have issues with the far-too-sloppy d-pad, which is just not suited for many kinds of games.  The rest of the pad is sublime, with top-notch construction and ergonomics.  It's like a Saturn pad's bigger brother.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Heh. I love the look of the X68000 adapter here:

[Image: http://gamesx.com/grafx/CPS2.jpg]

I'd love to get my hands on the Megadrive version of this stick, but I'd never use it. The popularity of the SNES adapters does have me considering picking those up where I might not have before. On the other hand, my Namco stick is a better controller overall and there's no shortage of PSX adapters for every current console.
Author name (Administrator) #4
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Interestingly that X68000 adaptor includes an input for a 6-button (or 3, I guess, but who cares?) MegaDrive pad, so you can use it for the Capcom stick OR a MegaDrive pad (including the MegaDrive Capcom stick...)

I too would love one of the MD sticks.  It's utterly gorgeous.

[Image: http://www.pipitan.com/gazo/cps_f/CPSF_MD_TOP.jpg]
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!