game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 471

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Video game vector art...
So I'm working with a program I found called Inkscape.  It's a free, open source app that works exclusively with vektor graphics. 

What's intriguing to me is that it works with Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), similar to the way Adobe Illustrator works.  It's pretty cutting edge stuff, is actively developed, and - most importantly - allows me to get my vector graphics out of PaintShop Pro and into a format other people can actually use.

Here's one I did years ago, converted to SVG:

[Image: /grafx/games/logos/pce_logo.svg]

Hah, cool.  Most browsers Opera and Firefox now support at least the basic level of SVG directly.  Safari and Chrome are a bit broken.  IE doesn't do it at all, without a plugin that isn't developed anymore.  I've been working with vectors since about 1987, the web should have supported 'em from the start, I say!
BLEARGH
This post was edited 5 times, last on 2012-09-28, 09:52 by NFG.
Edit reason: changed title to reflect vektor focus
Author name (Administrator) #2
Here's another one for your enjoy.  This little guy is the mascot/logo for Nintendo's Famicom Disk System, a Japan-only floppy-drive addon for the Famicom (NES).  Phenomenally popular there, this little guy is probably recognizable to every Japanese person between 30 and 40. =)

Also, you may be interested in reading the Famicom Disk System Manual.  It's a comic!  In English!  (Translated by me n Zumi!)

BLEARGH
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2008-11-20, 13:53 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #3
Ten years ago the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association (CESA) tried to make the sale of used video games illegal in Japan.  The thinking went, 'if people cannot buy games used, they'll buy new, and we'll make more money.'

Obviously it was a crock of shit, the product of faulty logic, and the idea died a much deserved death. 

Here's their no-resale logo (strangely in English):

27 Nov 2010: updated this logo.  Fixed some paths, added a background so you could see it against this dark forum theme.
BLEARGH
This post was edited 3 times, last on 2010-11-27, 17:46 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #4
Subject: Sega MegaDrive Logo
Sega's MegaDrive never really caught on in Japan like it did in the West, which is a shame 'cause the logo's brilliant:

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/games/logos/MegaDriveLogo.svg]
BLEARGH
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2012-10-02, 18:46 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #5
It was reported that the SVG images above did not work (thanks daves, gravis) so I tweaked the forum code to work a little better.  IE users are boned, as usual, but firefox users can now enjoy my vector love as much as Opera users.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #6
This one is a bit different.  Not a logo this time, instead it's an X68000 computer system.  It was devilishly tricky to do in PaintShop Pro, and I took a lot of shortcuts: all the blur and shading was done with rasters, the lights and logo too were not vectors, and none of these things were brought over into Inkscape.

So I had to redo them, and in the process learned a few things:

1. Shortcuts suck
2. Inkscape is really pretty good.  =)

I saw on the cover of a magazine once a Blue X68000.  I thought it was pretty brilliant, so here is my interpretation of it:

BLEARGH
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2008-11-21, 18:18 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #7
The problem with the conversion process is twofold:  Most curves don't export from PaintShop Pro, so all I have are straight lines, and no bitmaps are brought over, so I end up having to re-do a lot of effects (like blur) and re-do a lot of curved lines...

But sometimes it's worth it:

BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #8

I whipped this one up for a recent review of PacMan CE DX.  It's traced from this 80s poster which I used to own.  It fluoresced beautifully under a black light, and I loved it to shreds.

There's a ton more great vintage arcade posters here.
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2010-11-22, 19:00 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #9
Here's a MsPacMan logo I made for a photoshoot:

Some of the letters look a little wobbly and ugly, but they actually look better than the original.  I think the original was hand-drawn, it was pretty crap!
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #10
This logo looks a bit odd.  I don't think the conversion from PaintShop Pro to SVG went smoothly.  But it's really not far from the actual Sega-made logo.

BLEARGH
Author name #11
Member since Mar 2010 · 52 posts
Group memberships: Members
Subject: PacMan Ghost
I like the art style in the new Xbox PacMan Championship Edition, so I set about replicating it.  I took a screenshot of Pacman, and traced the ghost:

And then I went crazy with it:

I do really like these vektors.  You can scale those images to any size and they'll look exactly the same.
Just like NFG, but x 9!
This post was edited on 2010-12-08, 21:38 by Unknown user.
Author name (Administrator) #12
Here's something that sprang to mind a few days ago.  What happens when two Namco classics smash together?

Pac-Dug.

Image traced from Atari 2600 DigDug Box.
BLEARGH
This post was edited 2 times, last on 2010-12-08, 21:42 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #13
Here's one I whipped up today.  I dearly love the CoreGrafx logo, I can't think of any I like better.

Gotta do the SuperGrafx next.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #14
And done!

The silliest and most awesomest over-the-top console ever made is the SuperGrafx.  Man, how I love it.

BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #15
Here's  a collection of PC Engine / TurboGrafx pads, a project I've been meaning to start on for a long time.

I don't remember why, anymore, but the desire to do it remained strong so here it is so far:

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/games/PCE-pads.png]

This was a fun project, and it was made a lot smoother by my skills in Inkscape.  If I had tried this a year or two ago, it would have been a tremendous ordeal.

Most of these pads were pretty straight forward, but the TurboGrafx and LaserActive pads were interesting.  The LaserActive logo is half internet-sourced LaserDisc, and half traced from a super low-res LaserActive logo.  The TurboGrafx pad uses ccovell's TG logo, modified to say TurboTap, and the Run/Select text is from the Gotham Nights font, which is a damn near perfect replica of the TG16 font.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!