game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 489

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2462 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Nintendo's DS
After writing up all the things that went wrong with the PSP a few people asked what I thought about the DS.

The bottom line: Nintendo's DS is far better designed and constructed.  Never mind the specs and features and games, the DS hardware isn't as flawed as the PSP.

Read on for details.

As an interesting aside, a little birdy told me a Nintendo PR flack, when pressed about the GBA cart slot in DS game cases, mumbled something about the DS being able to access both the DS and GBA carts at the same time, and that there are plans for expansion cards for the GBA slot with software in the DS slot.  Therefore you might conceivably want to keep your GBA-shaped expansion cart with the DS games.  Therefore, two slots. 

Now if only there were good DS games to play...

[Image: http://nfggames.com/games/DS/DS1.jpg]
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 310 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
This item appears to be a repost, or at least a recent edit of an old post. I wanted to say, when the DS was new the hope was that the touch screen would lead to new ways to play RPGs. I've spent the last year or so hunkered down with Etrian Odyssey, a first-person dungeon crawl not unlike Bard's Tale on the Commodore 64. The difference is that instead of a graph paper map, you're challenged to draw a map on the touch screen. In some missions, you're even scored on the accuracy and usefulness of your map, the conceit being that you're bringing back information for other NPC adventurers to use.

A ton of old games are being revived on the DS as well. The PSX game Rhapsody recently got a DS port, and the next Phantasy Star game based on the old PSO engine will be here next year. Summing up, there's plenty of good DS games to play. The ten games I carry around with me all the time bears that out, I think.
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2462 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Yeah, it's a repost.  I'm transferring all the content from the old CMS to the new one, so for a while there's going to be gobs and gobs of antiquated shit cluttering up the NEW POSTS list, sorry.

But hey, it's a good chance to revisit some old stuff.  As we're doing now!  =)

Yeah, the DS is ...  Well, I guess it's good?  When I wrote the above, the DS was new and there was nothing to play.

There's sure nothing on my radar that I want to play still.  The last game I enjoyed was Kirby, and before that Catch! Touch! Yoshi!   I bought Arkanoid and hated it, Castlevania sucked (though I hear the new one is decent), and there's still no Nectaris DS, dammit. 

I don't like RPGs, so where does that leave me?  =(
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Oct 2007 · 310 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
It leaves you with strategy games. Advance Wars and Age of Empires are the big ones, although there are the usual tactical games like Disgaea, FF Tactics and Rondo of Swords that rate high in my book. There's also a new Fire Emblem game on the way. All these games benefit tremendously from the touch screen.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!