It wasn't until HTML and PHP that I managed to put these skills to use, dabbling here and there with PERL and PHP, but never really doing anything more than modifying existing code to work the way I needed it to.
Well, yesterday I tried to do something clever. I know you don't care too much about my programming stories, so I'll get right to the point: I succeeded, and now I can do
Basically, I made a script that takes any text, cuts it back to 100 characters max, converts each letter to its ASCII equivalent, copies the appropriate letter from a font file (see below) and creates a new image with the original text as graphical letters.
Mostly from old arcade games, natch. =)
Now I just need to slap together a few more fonts, work out a way to select 'em on the fly, cache frequently-used images, prevent hot-linking...