game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 617

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: A new light toy.
I had this crazy idea to build a lightstrip, and tonight I went out and bought some parts:

1 x 90mm PVC pipe, 1 metre long
1 x saw
2 x pipe caps
2 x pipe clamps
some tinfoil, and some translucent white plastic

Turns out I didn't need the caps or the clamps, but even so the total project cost including them was about $20.

I cut about 1/3 of the pipe out, along the length of it, and lined the inside with tinfoil.  I put the translucent sheet on the outside, covering the part I removed.  When I put a remote flash at one end of the tube, the tinfoil reflects light out of the tube and the translucent sheet diffuses the light.  Without the tinfoil the pipe leaked way too much yellowish light, but with it I get light exactly where I want it.  It's like a long, thin softbox.  The part of the pipe I removed makes a perfect adjustment device: I can cover more and more of the tube to narrow the exposed slit, creating a narrower exit for the light.

Here are a couple of crappy pics I made with it.  The real test comes in a couple of days, when I have a model to shoot.  =)

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-1.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-2.jpg]
In this pic the flash was remote-triggered by the built-in flash (running @ 1/100)
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #2
Here are a couple of pics I snapped today while re-doing part of the tube:

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-3.jpg]
Lining the centre with tinfoil

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-4.jpg]
The base of the tube.  I'll be cutting a hole in the bottom to slip the flash through.  Pics of that to follow.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #3
Here's a before-and-after series showing off the awesomeness of my light tube. 

Same settings in both pics.

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-5.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-6.jpg]

Say hello to my dad.  =)

Bonus update: here's a shot of the base of it, with a new hole cut for the flash:

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-7.jpg]

I probably should have checked to make sure the SB-28 also fits in there.  Ah well.
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2009-02-19, 22:11 by NFG.
Author name (Administrator) #4
Here's a couple of additional pictures of the business end of the tube.I added some 1cm padding in four places to help keep the flash from rattling around, and it works absolutely brilliantly.  The flash is safer in the tube than anywhere else I could put it, but for the exposed bits.

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/photos/lightstrip-8.jpg]

With the padding in place it's far more secure than I expected, and the blue elastic strap was not required.  I've left it on there for the time being, while I test it out and make sure that it'll work the way I hope.

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/photos/lightstrip-9.jpg]

There's also an end cap, as seen in a previous post, which will keep the flash from falling out of the tube.The flash is still secure enough with the padding that I doubt the end cap is strictly necessary, but better safe than sorry.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #5
The tube's pretty much done now.  Except for a very slight light falloff issue that I think is due to sloppy tinfoiling, it works brilliantly.  The flash is ultra-secure and safe in its padded enclosure, and I've got a new method for strapping the thing in place.  The end-cap keeps the flash completely immobilized.

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-a.jpg]
You can see the screw I used to hook the bungee strap here.

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-b.jpg]

[Image: /grafx/photos/lightstrip-c.jpg]
If you look under the flash, you can just see the padding between the it and the end cap.
BLEARGH
Author name #6
Member since Feb 2008 · 6 posts · Location: Tassie
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Younguns
i've never thought of that before. i'm going to make one for myself :P
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!