game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 672

What's hot?
submit to reddit
Author name #1
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: J-pop
Anybody know what's supposed to be exciting or relevant in the world of Japanese popular music these days? I'm trying to broaden my interests beyond whoever is doing the latest anime opening theme song, and I find myself confronted with the same problem that you see in the Western music market: too much product, not enough critical guidance.
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I asked Zumi about this, and she says it hasn't really changed much in the last five years or so.  Ayumi Hamasaki is still the pop queen, and acts from Johnnie & Associates like Smap are still holding strong.  Seems pretty boring to me, but ever since Yellow Monkey imploded I haven't paid much attention to the scene.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Thanks for asking on my behalf. Japanese media is even more artificially induced than it is in the United States, and I get the sense that there's no real, cultivated or undiscovered talent that would break through all the careful choreography. I'm looking to inflict something other than anime theme songs on my coworkers at some point.
Author name (Administrator) #4
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
You certainly can get lucky, there are some Japanese bands that are definitely amateur, but not in 'pop' music orbits. 

You're right about artificial controls.  The aforementioned Yellow Monkey disappeared from the scene after announcing on a music show that they were going to go against their label's wishes and start accepting interview requests and appearances that they were not allowed to do.  The show's hosts, knowing full well the consequences of any band going against the label, were shocked.  As you might suspect, that very day they stopped showing up anywhere.
BLEARGH
Author name #5
User title: Not to Scale
Member since Nov 2007 · 14 posts · Location: Brisbane, Australia
Group memberships: Members
Apparently, according to more than one source, "Maximum The Hormone" is the bomb.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!