game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 685

You get old, you get cranky.
submit to reddit
Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Here's how it works, kids:
Douglas Adams, author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, once explained exactly how the world works:

1) everything that's already in the world when you're born is just normal;

2) anything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it;

3) anything that gets invented after you're thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it until it's been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really.

It's so true.  Stuff I've always known IS normal.  At some point I get annoyed that constantly learning new things gets in the way of me doing stuff and I stopped taking on new devices in favour of being productive with what I already know.   

Kids today think computers are normal, the internet's not really amazing, and so on, where I think it's just astonishingly cool.  I got my first computer when I was 8, and it was years before we got a modem that would allow us to use the phone to call one other computer.  Three hundred bits per second was all we got to play with, compare to the internet now at up to twenty five million bits per second, even in Australia.  Mobile phones came out in the late 80s and were larger than a box of tissues, with a base and handset attached by a cord.  And a 15-digit display, if we were lucky.  My phone now has more power and more colours and more RAM than my first ten computers combined.

So far though I'm still enthralled by new toys and technology.  I need you all to watch for the moment I turn into into Ray Bradbury, the 90-something science fiction author who hates the internet and loves books.

Seriously.  If I start whinging like a Mr. Shithead Bradbury, tell me.  If I don't shut up on the spot, kill me.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!