game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 72

Author name #1
Member since Sep 2007 · 131 posts · Location: Canberra
Group memberships: Denizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Man this pisses me off....
Okay, I thought I'd write this up because I want to see if other people have a similar opinion on the matter.

I'm sure most of you would know about the Australian guy who was killed recently in Iraq.
Now, the media is making it seem like a terrible tradgedy, and the top politions are going on about how aweful it is.

I on the other hand, have very little sympathy, and my anger about the issue.

Yes it is absolutely terrible that the guy died. It's sad for any member of a family to die.
However:
He joined the army. This means he knew full well that if there was a war he would get called into it. That means it was his JOB! When he was killed during the war, he died at work. Lots of people have died due to work related accidents, yet when they do get killed, they don't get called a hero, and the PM doesn't turn up to their funeral. Why is their death so much less important than anybody elses?

Also, when these politions rave on about how much of a disaster it is, I can't help but think "What on earth did you expect?". I mean, they sent their troops into a WAR. In a war people get killed. Did they think they could just walk into another country, start blowing everything up, terrifying civilians, and killing people and have everybody just sit back and let them? I don't fucking think so!

What do other people think? Is it just me?
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2484 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
It's not just you.

Not only was it his job, the same people wringing their hands about how awful it is now are the people who sent him there in the first place, and in the media's case, the people who didn't do their jobs when it came to questioning our participation in the invasion.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Oct 2007 · 11 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Younguns
mega +1
I am quite firmly of the belief that, in the words of James Barris (points to whoever gets the reference), "that we are living in a world getting progressivley worse"
Author name (Administrator) #4
Everyone, from the beggining of time until now, has believed that the world is getting worse.  The younguns suck at literacy, the politicians are in bed with business, we're heading for war, mother nature's against us for our sins, etc etc.

It's not new, but is it real?  I have my doubts some days.
BLEARGH
Author name #5
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
For people in the western world, war is largely abstract and one-sided. The generation that fought in trenches, caught dysentery and buried their fallen instead of sending them home is almost gone now. Europeans, Americans, and Commonwealthers try not to get into wars that they can't win decisively and quickly, with little loss of life. Contrast this with Asian and Middle-Eastern peoples, who have comparatively less to lose and almost nothing to fear, and have no problem slogging it out over decades because of fanatical, zealous belief structures. That's why there's so much press and public statements on the death of one soldier, because in the minds of those people he shouldn't have died even with a war on. It's a textbook example of cognitive dissonance, but it's not without explanation.

We have it pretty good in the English-speaking world. There's very little reason for us to go to war with each other, because there is almost enough for everybody. That's why the United States tends to give out so much foreign aid money, so that an unfair but workable status quo stays in effect. Of course, as soon as war broke out in the middle east that status quo was broken, and there's really no predicting what international politics will look like five years from now. With any luck, we'll get some principled leaders with humility to sort it out.
Author name #6
Member since Oct 2007 · 11 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Younguns
In reply to post #4
Quote by NFG:
...The younguns suck at literacy...

wee r? I meenm, we du?

I think that the view that we have it pretty good in the english-speaking world is more a matter of perspective than anything else. I really don't think that when humans came along x amount of time ago, we were ever meant to have everything. When a generation with everything does come along, where will be our motivation to strive, travel and explore?

Although this coming from a guy who thinks we shouldn't have technologically progressed past horse-travel as the fastest way of getting somewhere, bows and arrows & swords as our main weapons, and when our curiosity was raging.
Author name #7
Member since Sep 2007 · 11 posts
You know what pisses me off, that new Matchbox 20 song "How far we've come". Worst Lyrics ever. Yes we are going downhill but singing about the end of the world isn't going to help now is it.

Everyone knows violence and TV is bad and if you eat junkfood your going to get fat, and we need to help conserve the environment. 

If the world is burning to the ground, i'm blaming current affair shows. Seriously, someone wake me up when they have something worth while to say.

Sorry I don't really have anything to say on the topic... I just wanted to tell you how much I dislike current affair shows.  :scared:
Author name (Administrator) #8
I just wanted to tell you how much I dislike current affair shows. 
You and me both.  I almost never watch channels 7 and 9 because of their horrible, fear-mongering current affairs shows.  The shit they broadcast is so full of half-truths and flat-out lies     it's basically worthless.
BLEARGH
Author name #9
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
i once stalked one of those shows as they gathered their footage and 'evidence', it was a..educational experience.
and seeing the report a week later was utterly terrifying, they took something completly inane, took it out of context and turned it into a 'this neighbor is out to kill everyone and you will be next' story.

anyway more on topic.
we had a guy visit our gymnastics gym on Monday, he's a ex gymnast has just come back from a 7 month tour in Afghanistan and he showed us some photos and had a quick chat about what he was doing over there.
now the part that annoyed me. this gymnastics class consist of 90% primary school kids, and the information being given to them was in my opinion just wrong. nothing against the guy himself, eh was over there doing his job, but the coach was glorifying the whole thing and going on about what a wonderful job they are doing protecting the people over there and us from the terrorists.
i have no issues with them giving a little talk about eh army and such, but you don't tell children about the 50 meter exclusion/kill zones to protect against suicide bombers, and than explain that anyone in the room could be a human bomb.
other than that particular part i think what really scared me was seeing how the little ones are being indoctrinated into this culture of patriotism which in my experience is as dangerous as any other former of fanaticism of extremism..
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name (Administrator) #10
Patriotism freaks me the fuck out.  History is filled with great quotes by better minds than my own talking about the subject.

George Bernard Shaw said "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."

I love this one from H. L. Mencken:  "The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair."

And from Henry Steele Commager: "Men in authority will always think that criticism of their policies is dangerous. They will always equate their policies with patriotism, and find criticism subversive."

More great quotes...

While reading more on that page, I found this fascinating bit taken from a conversation with Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall and Luftwaffe-Chief during the Nazi rule of Germany:

We got around to the subject of war again and I said that, contrary to his attitude, I did not think that the common people are very thankful for leaders who bring them war and destruction.

"Why, of course, the people don't want war," Goering shrugged. "Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship."

"There is one difference," I pointed out. "In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2007-11-13, 23:07 by NFG.
Author name #11
slightly on topic. (save image then open with winrar/winzip)
its is a book entitled '50 things you're not supposed to know', ever so slightly 'conspiracy theory' but interesting none the less

[Image: http://www1.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/2afa689c0f027823249c3a541724f1c85g.jpg]

(stupid photobucket compression><)
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
This post was edited on 2007-11-13, 23:40 by Junpei.
Author name #12
Member since Sep 2007 · 11 posts
it ist not working for me :(
Author name (Administrator) #13
Yeah, didn't work for me either.

You know Junpei you CAN attach things to your posts on this forum.  Try that for non-mangled goodness.
BLEARGH
Author name #14
silly people! it does work..but here is a download link to the pdf.
50 things
(now how would i go about this attaching you speak of nfg?)
Author name (Administrator) #15
Junpei, if you click on "post options" while writing your reply it opens up a new box with an "Attach file" option.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Page:  1  2  next 
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!