game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 727

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Hornblower
I randomly discovered and have been hugely enjoying a TV series called Hornblower, based on the novels by C. S. Forester.  Wikipedia says they're made-for-TV movies, but ABC is running all eight as if they were weekly episodes.  It's a naval drama set in the late 1700s, following the fictional protagonist Horatio Hornblower as he rises through the ranks.

I love military drama as a rule, I find the framework of command and duty works very well to constrain a story to only the most interesting elements of conflict and character.  Hornblower hits all the right notes (heh) for me, with all the infighting, intrigue and international antagonism you could ever want. 

So far no one has shouted out billions of blistering blue barnacles or avast ye scurvy swabs! but I guess as long as I'm watching military instead of pirate drama I'll have to abide that particular disappointment.

The series was ended in 2007 due to the high production costs.  I guess re-creating all those enormous wooden ships isn't cheap.  Next Sunday's episode, Retribution is the second half of last night's episode where Hornblower's accused of mutiny by an addled captain.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Apr 2009 · 59 posts · Location: Bendigo
Group memberships: Citizens, Denizens, Members, Underground, Wannabe Denizens
Ah, NFG is delving into the great series of my childhood... :P
I think high production cost were due to it being overly awesome and realistic...
Kinda like a historical Firefly.
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I'm disgusted to find that the torrent I downloaded is 4:3 instead of widescreen.  Now I have to wait until Sunday for the next one!  LIFE SUCKS!
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!