game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 755

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: A Muslim call for an end to mockery.
According to an article on JapanToday (though it's just an AP story so you'll prolly read it elsewhere):

Quote by The Article:
Islamic nations are mounting a campaign for an international treaty to protect religious symbols and beliefs from mockery—essentially a ban on blasphemy...

OK, fuck that.  For so many reasons, Muslims don't deserve a free pass.  It's pathetic and not a bit childish to even ask.  If I want to mock your idiot prophet or your antiquated belief system, I'm gonna go ahead and do that as readily as I mock Christians and their invisible skyman. 

Seriously, get over yourselves.

Muslims aren't special.  If you want to believe something that's as fundamentally ridiculous as petulant gods with completely random ethics and behaviour, you should expect a little mockery.  I mock the shit out of everyone I know for all their foibles and failings, and they do the same for me. 

Be men, take it on the chin, and get on with your miserable lives, geez.  Creating special laws 'cause your fragile little egos can't hack it is pathetic.  No free rides for christians, scientologists or muslims.  Equality for all.

The article goes on to suggest that the Muslim push is for protection of all religions:  "For several years the Islamic Conference has successfully passed a nonbinding resolution at the General Assembly condemning “defamation of religions.”"  It honestly wouldn't surprise me to find scientologists supporting this push, 'cause you just know the instant it becomes illegal to mock Xenu or the interplanetary DC-8s they'll be suing the fuck out of everyone.

So, no special religious protection. 

NFG says so.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
A relevant quote from 'The West Wing', the American television show:

"There's nothing wrong with a religion whose laws say a man's got to wear a beard or cover his head or wear a collar. It's when violation of these laws become a crime against the State and not your parents that we're talking about lack of choice."

Remember that Islam is the youngest of the big three western religions. There's room to disagree about the interpretation, but it seems to me that the fanatical Muslims don't care to distinguish between religious and political entities. To this extreme minority, the church should *be* the state. A number of Christians in the United States believe that about their own faith as well. Enacting laws against disrespecting religion is just the first step towards constructing that world.

Don't misunderstand, I agree with you that nobody gets a free pass when it comes to parody. It's a sign of personal maturity, as well as institutional maturity, to be able to withstand ridicule. But Islam lacks central leadership, and its adherents feel like they're under siege. The fanatics think that the whole world is against them, and the more reasonable moderates struggle not to be judged by the standard the fanatics are setting for them. People who wander around while they're hurt aren't amenable to comedy; would an abandoned child get much enjoyment out of the 'Home Alone' series of movies?

There's a third hand to consider here. Most of the acts of disrespect to Islam come from individuals, not governments or corporations. One guy draws a cartoon depicting Mohammed, or one guy makes a forum post. And even if that weren't the case, governments and corporations are powerful enough to ward off any real legal consequences. So the question to ask: Is Islam so unstable that a single person's act of mockery able to topple it?
Author name #3
User title: I can haz cheezburgrz?
Member since Aug 2009 · 23 posts · Location: Samford, QLD, Australia
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Just wondering...if this was officially acted upon and noone could bad-mouth religion....how would religion fundamentally exist? There are many religions and each one states that theirs is the true one...is this not bad mouthing the other religions stating that they are all phoney? Each religions existence is a mockery to each other religion.

I await the sue fest...especially since the Vatican and Scientologists have so much cash handy

Please don't sue me...
Author name (Administrator) #4
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
In reply to post #2
Quote by Kendrick:
It's a sign of personal maturity, as well as institutional maturity, to be able to withstand ridicule.
I've come to realize lately exactly how important institutions are.  It's a huge deal for the maturity and stability of any nation or group.  Without it, it's a matter of personality only, leading to constant reinvention and upheaval. 

You make a very interesting point about Muslimthink connecting the religion with the state.  If they're one and the same in that sphere, it's gotta be difficult to mentally separate them when dealing with others.

Is Islam so unstable that a single person's act of mockery able to topple it?
I'd considered it as untenable and ridiculous as any religion, but now that you ask...  It certainly does seem as if its believers consider it a fragile thing.  Goes back to a certain immaturity doesn't it?  They mustn't realize how this constant overreaction looks to the rest of us.  Reminds me a bit of North Korea's off-the-wall news programs with the volume cranked to distortion and railing hard against every perceived slight. 

Hey guys, you're insane.

Quote by The Bunny:
Each religions existence is a mockery to each other religion.
This is an interesting thing to consider, but I don't consider it to be more than a casual observation.  I mean, every religion is so insane that it practically asks for a bit of mocking now and then. 

I can't look at this sort of legal prohibition with a logical, objective perspective.  It's too ridiculous: designed by irrational minds to accomplish impossible things.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!