game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 763

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Facebook Groups: Collective Individual Expression?
I've noticed a rather fascinating phenomenon on Facebook recently: people are joining groups that are less an appreciation of something than a reflection of trivial observations in their life.  Where before people were likely to come together to enjoy the talents of a musician or express appreciation for a particularly clever gadget or enjoyable media release, they're now jointly musing about the problems they have with their mothers.

It's fascinating to watch people join these cleverly titled groups, and I propose in phase two of this research that I join a few and investigate the goings-on therein.  Are they actively chatting about these collective life experiences, or are they simply creating pithy names, gathering members and then stagnating, like little sticky bubbles of social not-working ephemera?

These are actual group names:

I was waiting for a reply and then realized I never even sent the last text.  Who among us hasn't had this happen to them?  After you admit this, what do you talk about?  I imagine five hundred people saying "OMG I did that one time, and etc etc!"

Yeah, ok, yes, yeah, yeah, ok, yes, ok, i know, ok, yes, BYE MOM.  You know, my mom has different priorities than me too, and sometimes in my haste I just agree with her in the hopes she'll shut up. 

People who drank a lot of Side FX beer and are now sad it is gone.  Sometimes I exhaust my local supply of a product too!  I should join this and see how they cope.

I love this one, it's particularly meta:

I hate my HomePage filled up with people joining groups, this is my protest.  You see what they did there?

Working in hospitality made me hate people...  A group of people dedicated to hating people!  How delightful!

This group is so up-to-date it must resonate powerfully with people:

I had an affair with Tiger Woods.

When I was your age, Misty traveled with Ash and Brock.  I don't even know what this means!  Am I old?  Perhaps it's an Australian thing?  Oh, the intense conversations that must be going on within!

I'm so tired but I want to stay up and talk to you :D.  Ahh, young love.  I wonder if this group shares any members with the next one:

I was going to go to bed early, but once again, that didn't happen.  OMG this is SO the story of my LIFE!  Or something.  What could this possibly be, a group dedicated to failing, collectively, to stick to a goal?

I Constantly Check My Phone For No Reason.  Oh, there's a reason.  I wonder, if they work out what it is, will the group disband?

Got Mojo ??  Power hit right here.  Power.

I Can Identify My Family Members By The Sound & Pattern Of Their Footsteps.  And as soon as they can program a computer to do the same, total surveillance is real (but only the group's founders see any cash).

I Hate people who Whinge, Nag or Bitch on their facebook status !  A group of people new to facebook, clearly.

Coastal Super Fun Trip!!!  Goal setting is not a strongpoint of Facebook users.  I wonder if this trip will ever get off the ground.  In phase two, I will join it and see.  Will they let me come?  Which coast will they visit?  Gee, I hope it's one I've never seen.

Hide the Pumpkin. I can't stand this!  How awesome must this group be?

I can't help but think people join them solely for the wacky names.  Perhaps someone who has joined could let us all know how much active participation actually goes on?

I love it.  You crazy kids keep on joining those crazy groups.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
User title: Not to Scale
Member since Nov 2007 · 14 posts · Location: Brisbane, Australia
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
If there's one thing that annoys me about Facebook, it's that I use it. Under all the layers of disdain though, I really do truly hate when it suggest that I join something like 'Get everyone on facebook to join the one group!' or 'I used to cover my hands in glue at school just so I could peel it off ' Seriously. It was clever the first three times, but all these nostalgic group names are annoying me. You know what else annoys me? Typos. Dammit keyboard, I know what I'm trying to type, how about you get off your lazy plastic ass and help me out here.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!