game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 773

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Microsoft's Natal: Not looking as good...
I'm not convinced Microsoft's Natal will be any good.  This peripheral sounds too much like weird-for-the-sake-of-it me-too add-on to try and compete with Nintendo's successful Wii and DS, but created by someone who doesn't understand why these other systems are successful.  If a bunch of non-game-playing suits sat around a boardroom with a few hardware vendors and brainstormed about that cool shit the other companies are doing, this is exactly what I imagine they'd come up with: Sony's Eye Toy, marketed as something all-new and amazing.

It's a webcam, OK?  I am not impressed that Peter Molyneux is making some revolutionary new game for it, it's a webcam.

It was originally supposed to have its own processor, so that it'd look at you, think about what it sees, and communicate with the console.  Well, to keep the cost down, they removed the processor making it, in effect, a webcam. 

And the upshot of this is that the Xbox 360 will now see a 15% performance hit when you use the thing.  Fifteen percent ain't no small amount.

So, at the risk of sounding like a bitter old crank, I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm not impressed by a me-too peripheral that sucks the processor juice out of my console so I can abuse Molyneux's virtual child.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #2
From IRC:

<bloodf> you would think theyd try to master a usable d-pad before embarking on arm waving wankery

Too right.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #3
Subject: From the Nonsense Dept.
Microsoft rep Robbie Bach said something that makes no sense at all:

We have something like 70 percent or 80 percent of the publishers in the world already doing Natal-based games

Neither I nor the commenters at GamaSutra could make sense of this.
BLEARGH
Author name #4
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
It's a hedge. There are many developers who share among them a much smaller number of publishers, and obviously not all publishers also represent game development groups directly. I would say that if you think there are only 30 companies doing game publishing (including Sega, EA, Take 2, and so on) then 21 of them each having one dev group dumb enough to develop a Natal game makes Bach's statement plausible, if not truthful.
Author name #5
User title: Vacant lot.
Member since Dec 2009 · 17 posts · Location: Melbbourne
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Underground
I heard a rumor that Microsoft was heading towards going under.... that can't be right but at this rate they're not going to progress at all past a "thanks for Age of Empires 1 and Windows XP" from me.

Stagnation is super effective...
Author name (Administrator) #6
According to Fudzilla, Microsoft's fancy webcam Natal thingy is expected to sell for $50-80.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!