game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 784

Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Shooting kids in Queensland: Need a Blue Card?
Recently I've been asked to shoot some classes with children.  My dad asked if I needed a Blue Card for that, so I looked it up.  (For the foreigners: In Queensland, a Blue Card is a gov't issued card that allows you to work with children).

For PAID work:
The official blue card site is a bit ambiguous about this.  They say you need a license if your business involves children:

A person will need a blue card if they propose to work, in a paid or voluntary capacity, or to carry on a business, in a child-related area

But their application form does not have a tick-box for 'photographer' or 'other business', listing instead only 10 other specific occupations.

So I googled it, and found this Q/A:

I am a paid employee of a photography business and my employment includes taking photographs at children’s sport or cultural events. Do I need a blue card?

Yes, you need a blue card under the 'sport and active recreation' category of employment regulated by the Act

Well, that seems to answer the question, though that category doesn't really exist in the form either.

The final answer is listed on the same page, below the certain-sounding yes:

...you will need a blue card if, you carry out work or are likely to carry out work over a period of 12 months for:
* eight consecutive days; or
* once a week for each week during a period of four weeks; or
* once a fortnight each fortnight during a period of eight weeks; or
* once a month for each month during a period of six months.

So there you have it.  You don't need a blue card if you take pictures of kids, for free or fee, if you only do it once in a while.

For UNPAID work:
If you volunteer, the rules are more complicated.  You DO need a card if:
providing services directed mainly towards children; or
conducting activities mainly involve children.

There are plenty of volunteer exemptions listed on the CCYPCG page.  If you're a parent, working for an authorized or government agency, working for a church (as if that's not a red alert!) etc.

In my case, I believe this to mean that - since I don't get paid for my shoots at Urban Gymnastics, and since their services do not primarily involve children, I don't need a blue card.   Should I start to accept more paying jobs, for events primarily involving kids,  on a regular basis, I might need to get one.
BLEARGH
This post was edited on 2010-02-08, 17:18 by NFG.
Author name #2
Member since Jan 2010 · 10 posts · Location: Melbourne
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Clear as mud then.
Author name (Administrator) #3
Yeah, it's a bit like that.  I might as well get one anyway.  Doesn't hurt, right?  Then I can use its sharp edges to kill parents who give me grief. 

I probably shouldn't work with kids.
BLEARGH
Author name (Administrator) #4
Got my blue card yesterday.  It's...  Well, it's very blue innit?  Hard to read in any but the brightest light.

But yeah!  Now I can legitimately annoy kids with my camera.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!