game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 842

Author name #1
User title: Vacant lot.
Member since Dec 2009 · 17 posts · Location: Melbbourne
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, Underground
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Talking about Lode Runner, Lode Runner's Rescue
I have Lode Runner for my Macintosh Classic... freakin awesome game, haven't seen any sequels though.

The Atari had more well built games than even N64 in my opinion... I'm not surprised that games such as Flip and Flop exist.
This post was edited on 2010-04-04, 21:39 by Unknown user.
Author name (Administrator) #2
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I have played Lode Runner's Rescue.  In fact, it was one of the first games I ever actually owned.  I have it on my list of things to try, but if memory serves it's really not that good - the graphics didn't age well at all, and ...  Well, I'll play it first and report back.  Also, it's a lot like Crystal Castles visually, isn't it?

Peeet: LRR is nothing like Lode Runner in appearance or play.  As for Atari having lots of great games...  Well yeah.  It really did, but it's surprising you compare it to the N64, which is fairly well known for not being well known for a quality library.  How many great games did it have?  Six?  Ten?  Easy to beat.
BLEARGH
Author name #3
Member since Oct 2007 · 316 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Members
Lode Runner has a ton of sequels, not counting Rescue. Lode Runner Returns on the Saturn, Lode Runner: The Legend Returns on the Playstation, and most interestingly Lode Runner 3D on the N64. Yes, I think I own them all. Back to the original topic, there's an isometric proper Lode Runner (with digging instead of jumping) that only saw the Japanese market on the Gamecube and the PS2.

All of the kids who grew up with an N64 in their house are coming of age, so they naturally use that platform as the baseline for judging other systems. I can forgive Peeet's comparison.
Author name (Administrator) #4
Having just now played Rescue again, I've decided I don't like it.  VERY twitchy controls.  Also, I can't beat level three, the guarded prison.  How can I get that guy blocking the door to move?  Something going on that I don't understand.  =(
BLEARGH
Author name #5
Kendrick is absolutely correct in his reasoning but you can still tell I'm not very worldly in the old-school gaming sector, or any sector really, more of an all-rounder; useless in every field. :-p

I find that a lot of ancient games you play now are impossible to work out, especially if you've forgotten or never known what you need to do. Something to do with seeing old graphics after having seen new-gen graphics just erases a little of their meanings. For example going and playing Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Atari 2600... though in my opinion that game never made sense. Prince of Persia 2: S&F for SNES is another... getting a short way in and getting REALLY stuck.

NFG, I can safely assume you're not playing emulated remakes yeah?
Author name (Administrator) #6
I play emulators most of the time 'cause it's convenient.  Why bother dragging out the gamecube and finding all the cables and adaptors when I can just run an emu and get to playin'?  Same with the Atari.  I've got a 130XE in storage along with drives and adaptors, and it's WAY too much work to fire it all up.  And if I did, it'd look like shit on the plasma, and there are no save-states and no screenshots.  Bah to that.
BLEARGH
Author name #7
Heheh, well you know, that just might be why the controls are horrible for LRR... :-p
Author name (Administrator) #8
Subject: Suncom TAC2 - the Totally Accurate Controller.
Naw, I'm playing with a Suncom TAC2, one of the best controllers ever made.

You can tell it's awesome, 'cause TAC means Totally Accurate Controller.

[Image: http://nfgcontrols.com/grafx/Suncom-TAC2-1.jpg]
BLEARGH
Author name (Guest) #9
No profile available.
Link to this post
Pretty sure I played a Lode Runner game on the PC, from one of those PCgamer or similar magazine demo-disks.

it was isometric and involved digging.

-TJ
Author name (Administrator) #10
The original Lode Runner was certainly not isometric.  Here's Lode Runner vs Lode Runner's Rescue:

[Image: http://nfgworld.com/grafx/games/LodeRunnerR.png]
BLEARGH
Author name #11
Member since Nov 2007 · 121 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Denizens, Members
That looks like a pretty solid, heavy-duty stick. Are we in 8-bit world, where both buttons press the same switch internally, or do we have two independent buttons here?
"...either stop and think or fuck right off" (TheOutrider)
Author name (Administrator) #12
One button, two options for pressing it (Lefties were so well cared for in the 80s!).  It's got an incredibly short throw, making it perfect for these old games where accuracy is demanded.  It's very similar to their tiny Slik Stik, if you've seen one of those.
BLEARGH
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!