game
photo
retro
rant
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register

All content © NFGworld, unless otherwise noted, except for stuff we stole. Contact the editor-in-chief : baldbutsuave@thissitesdomain, especially if you are an attractive young female willing to do nude photography modelling. All rights reversed. 88

was: re: Trees are sucky
submit to reddit
Author name (Administrator) #1
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Photos in the City
There was a jam in the city today.  I attended, but left early, so not many pictures to show for it.

Trees confound me.  They clutter up the background fiercely, and completely flummox the camera when it tries to deal with the extremes of light, from the pure white sun to the blackest shadows of the leaves.  It's a recipe for disaster that I've never yet managed to sort out.

Consider the following image.  In order to make the subject stand out, I had to darken the background significantly.  Still, the busy background competes for the viewer's attention.

[Image: http://nfggames.com/gallery/d/4921-2/BigJump.jpg]
Click for larger

The next one wasn't much better.  Despite my great idea of having the subject repeated throughout the image, the overall effect is essentially ruined by the trees cluttering the background.

[Image: http://nfggames.com/gallery/d/4928-2/Misfit+Multi.jpg]
Click for larger

My plan for the time being is to simply avoid trees.
BLEARGH
Author name #2
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
i would have to disagree..
in the second shot i think that due to the fact that it is the same person repeated several times if you had a clear back ground the fact that it is the same person would become really blatant and the photo would seem really artificial, with a cluttered back ground you take more time to absorb the details of the photo so the multiple misfits become a leading line through the photo instead of the focus point. more of a sequence instead of a moment in time..?

with the first photo i would be interested in seeing the original, the fact that has been darked really stands out..and i think that is what is drawing my attention away from the central subject. and out of interest, what program do you use for your photo editing?
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name (Administrator) #3
Member since May 2011 · 2485 posts · Location: Brisbane
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
I use PaintShop Pro (v9) for all my editing.  I also use ACDSee Pro 2 for RAW editing.

The original is attached.  TBH I'm not really proud of either version...
BLEARGH
The author has attached one file to this post:
misfit jump original.jpg 158.3 kBytes
You have no permission to open this file.
Author name #4
Member since Sep 2007 · 176 posts · Location: Kobe, Japan
Group memberships: Citizens, Members, The Cabal, Underground
i see why you darkened the background there, the original is quite washed out, but the processed version just looks like the person has been pasted in.
well, we cant get them all right! my failure rate is astronomical..i blame my equipment! :-D
which should soon be remedied.. i hope..
havent used those programs..gonna have to check them out..
“Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others.” J. Postel
Author name #5
Member since Nov 2007 · 121 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Denizens, Members
Junpei has a good point there.
It's funny really, because you originally had a picture that looked quite natural but with, as you say, a busy background that draws the eye more than the subject does, but all that processing has ended up making it look, to me, like a shot from something like a PS3 version of Tony Hawk's. It's gone from real world natural to video game natural, it actually looks like something that's been meticulously textured.
Now if only you could construct an algorithm to reverse the process and make it really fast, you could sell that to video game system manufacturers ;)
"...either stop and think or fuck right off" (TheOutrider)
Author name #6
Member since Oct 2007 · 5 posts
Group memberships: Citizens, Denizens, Members
they still very nice pics.
good job.
keep it comin :P
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
We love UNB by Yves Goergen!